Captain Jerk Toxicity

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I've had this trumpet coral frag that's been overtaken by captain jerk palys. I tossed around the idea of using aiptasia x or other chemicals to kill the palys but concluded that the best way to deal with the palys is manual removal. I then plan on putting the frags on plugs and maybe growing and selling them.
I plan on removing them in the garage with the door open for ventilation, and also wearing a mask, gloves, and goggles. I would like to know about the toxicity of captain jerks before I move on. I've heard some awful stories about palytoxin, and wonder if I should even do anything with the trumpet coral frag, in fear of these palys being very deadly. Does anyone know the toxicity of this specific species? I was also going to remove some toxic green palys from a rock but read about their toxicity. I am mainly focused on helping the trumpet coral, and am curious about captain jerks' levels of palytoxin, though I can't find much info on them.
Thanks!

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly with the precautions you are taking I would think you are fine. As I like to recommend to people fragging zoas and palys is to not stab them repeatedly with a fork near your eyes. Species and safety wise I also go into fragging with the mindset that these things have and can kill me without precautions. Do as much of the work underwater helps as well.

Edit: lol have killed me.

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to treat all palys as being toxic. I was cleaning a rock that had been sitting dry for over a year, had a ton of those green palys dried up on it. I didn't think the toxins would still much of an issue, but I was still very careful until I touched my eye without thinking. I spent the next 3 hours with some pretty severe chills and muscle spasms.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the helpful advice! I’ll continue then with my current precautions, keeping in mind their potential danger. I know I did once get an itchy arm and metallic taste after I irritated my palys, so I’ll just be careful. They’re growing on the trumpet coral flesh so I’ll have to treat the situation delicately.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back