OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last nite I tried "kill stab" 4 hairy Gorilla crabs that's housing in my large plating sps ... with my hand held tweezers!!

You crab murderer!!!!! Be sure to leave crab bits as a warning to any other crabs.

OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if I do end up getting one, definitely getting one from algae barn!

AlgaeBarn is awesome!!! Absolutely the best! Now that you’ve mentioned it, ive never seen any min size requirements for Mandarins. I would imagine around 30g per fish to be certain of enough rock for pods, but I’m guessing here.

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For whatever reasons I've seeing quite a few of Gorilla crabs ... the last big one I speared had eggs. It was a female crab. I released the eggs into the system for the corals and fish to feed on. It's a Recycling process ya know?

Beth Villmow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae Barn has had the up for sale quite a bit in the last few weeks. Supplies are limited and like most fish availability is sporadic
Thank you, I'm going to check them out for sure
That's awesome, thanks for sharing.
Thanks for telling about these! I didn't know they were having luck with captive breeding! Super excited

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AlgaeBarn is awesome!!! Absolutely the best! Now that you’ve mentioned it, ive never seen any min size requirements for Mandarins. I would imagine around 30g per fish to be certain of enough rock for pods, but I’m guessing here.
Sounds good! Thank you!

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old do you think my tank should be? I don't mind waiting as long as the fish survives hahaha
As much as I love mandarins and really like the fact that there are captive bred specimens I would refrain from purchasing one at this time. A biocube, IMO will not sustain a large enough pod population to sustain the mandarin long term unless you plan on spending a small fortune every month on pods. Keeping a mandarin in a biocube alive temporary for a year is different from keeping one thriving for 4+ years.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One can thrive in a biocube. It’ll just be a little more work and dedication that’s all
I'm not doubting one can, many things can be done in this hobby but is a hobbyist with a 5 month old tank ready to invest time and money necessary to keep the mandarin thriving? I like to see success and just give an honest opinion. I'm hoping I can see pics years later of the beautiful mandarin thriving. Please don't take this as arguing, just difference of opinions.

jayala12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not doubting one can, many things can be done in this hobby but is a hobbyist with a 5 month old tank ready to invest time and money necessary to keep the mandarin thriving? I like to see success and just give an honest opinion. I'm hoping I can see pics years later of the beautiful mandarin thriving. Please don't take this as arguing, just difference of opinions.

No worries. You are right a 5 month old tank isn’t ready but eventually it could be. This hobby is expensive and exclusive eaters are very expensive. I have a harlequin shrimp and made a commitment. Anyone who wants a mandarin needs to research and be prepared to spend money lol. Unless u get lucky early on like me and they start eating pellets. But I still am going to buy pods once a month to make sure my lovely lady gets all she needs

OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries. You are right a 5 month old tank isn’t ready but eventually it could be. This hobby is expensive and exclusive eaters are very expensive. I have a harlequin shrimp and made a commitment. Anyone who wants a mandarin needs to research and be prepared to spend money lol. Unless u get lucky early on like me and they start eating pellets. But I still am going to buy pods once a month to make sure my lovely lady gets all she needs

Yeah ditto. My tank is mature enough to host tons of pods, but I’m terrified of starving them. They eat pellets, mysis, and flake and still see to my pod population. I even have a 55g dedicated Podfarm with enough pods to sustain a few dozen mandarins.
Here’s my pod farm... I trade out rocks with tank every other week to cycle new pods into the system. In this video you can only see some adults, but it’s absolutely teeming with pods of various species.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah ditto. My tank is mature enough to host tons of pods, but I’m terrified of starving them. They eat pellets, mysis, and flake and still see to my pod population. I even have a 55g dedicated Podfarm with enough pods to sustain a few dozen mandarins.
Here’s my pod farm... I trade out rocks with tank every other week to cycle new pods into the system. In this video you can only see some adults, but it’s absolutely teeming with pods of various species.

Awesome video @Liquid360

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back