Captive Bred Mandarins

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I forgot!!! The first one I bought was eaten alive by my arrow crab!!! I caught him eating him! Here’s the photo.... I killed that crab immediately.

130b0c121a50af95007293d9f297c070.jpg

You killed the arrow crab? Why in the world would you do that? ‍♂️

jayala12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He ate my mandarin. Punishment had to be swift to keep the reef from erupting into violent chaos! [emoji6]

Yup. If u let crabs get away with murder There will be a quick uprising. Had to be done for the good of the community. Public execution was a necessary evil. [emoji48]

Zatai41

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys

My Tank 45G has been running for 5 months now,
I do not know if i have any copepods... I used dry rock for my build.
Is my tank too "New" to have one of these fish ? or should I seed my tank with copepods first ?

Thanks!

OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys

My Tank 45G has been running for 5 months now,
I do not know if i have any copepods... I used dry rock for my build.
Is my tank too "New" to have one of these fish ? or should I seed my tank with copepods first ?

Thanks!

That’s the beauty of captive bred. Live Copepods aren’t required. I’d def add pods though, but you can add these mandarins. If I were you, I’d order one or two from AlgaeBarn along with a healthy shipment of pods and algae.

https://www.algaebarn.com/product/biota-captive-bred-green-mandarin/

The Green Mandarin (Synchiropus splendidus) is a bottom-dwelling creature that displays a wild mix of wavy pattern and beautiful colors –blue, green, orange and red, making them one of the most sought after and attractive fish in the world.

Our Biota Captive Bred Mandarins offer a hardy and sustainable alternative to wild-caught specimens with easier care requirements. Trained on a diet of Live and Frozen foods including V2O Cyclops, PE Calanus, TDO pellet (B1& B2 size), Frozen Baby Brine Shrimp, Live NanoBrine[emoji769] Shrimp and 5280 Pods[emoji769] Live Copepods your mandarin can graze on pods during the day and fatten up on frozen foods at feeding time.

Every Captive Bred Fish we sell comes with a 100% Alive On Arrival Guarantee and a 7 Day Health Guarantee. We make sure all fish are healthy and eating during a 2 week observation and conditioning period before offering them for sale. We will not sell a fish we wouldn’t buy ourselves.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to sway anyone one way or another but I would still seed the tank with pods and feed phyto for a couple months to let the population build before adding even a captive bred. These fish hunt all day every day.... sure eating mysis or LRS at feeding time is great but the fishes true nature is still there.

Its very easy for them to not get any frozen at feeding time if your other fish are aggresive/fast eaters as most will be. I have to turkey baste food directly to mine with zero flow going to make sure he gets his.

Just food for thought :)

OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to sway anyone one way or another but I would still seed the tank with pods and feed phyto for a couple months to let the population build before adding even a captive bred. These fish hunt all day every day.... sure eating mysis or LRS at feeding time is great but the fishes true nature is still there.

Its very easy for them to not get any frozen at feeding time if your other fish are aggresive/fast eaters as most will be. I have to turkey baste food directly to mine with zero flow going to make sure he gets his.

I do not disagree.

RobertN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah, that's what I was wondering about. If you have a bunch of aggressive-eating fish, even if you have captive-bred Mandarins, aren't they likely to not get enough to eat because of their tendency for being slow eaters and generally slow movers?

Rython

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that's what I was wondering about. If you have a bunch of aggressive-eating fish, even if you have captive-bred Mandarins, aren't they likely to not get enough to eat because of their tendency for being slow eaters and generally slow movers?
My understanding is that the issue is more that their digestive system is evolved such that they can't digest large meals efficiently. Instead they eat a small meal (pod) on average every 6 seconds. So even if they eat something larger than a pod, like some frozen, they don't get nutrition relative to the greater size of the food and would need to eat frozen like 100 times (or more) a day to compensate for not being able to hunt pods.
This is the first article i came across with a quick Google search but I know there are many others.
https://reefs.com/2017/02/04/paul-bs-unique-perspective-keeping-mandarins/

jokim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got frozen baby brine shrimp for mine, was told that is what they are raised with. now I just let him hunt all day and picks at pods, seeded fuge with tisbe pods with all the other ones in there.

I got mine at a LFS in North NJ and they got more in.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a red mandarin that’s doing great . Could I put a green captive to teach it to eat frozen lol. Maybe ?
I've been wanting a pair of red mandarins for over 3 years, got any pics! Any info where to get them bluezoo has them but very very limited. And the last order from them came in with velvet and all died

jayala12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well if they eat frozen or pellets do they really ever stop hunting pods? It’s in there nature. Pellets or frozen may just be them being opportunistic.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love it!

Back