Captive Bred Mandarins

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past couple months I’ve purchased two captive bred mandarins, a male and a female. I have had trouble with mandarins forever, going back at least two decades. These new’ish captive bred fish are AMAZING!!! I couldn’t recommend them more passionately. I recommend getting a pair. They eat anything. They’re active and extremely hardy. They’re so very tiny, but just adorable fish! Watching them interact is such good fun.
Sorry, but best photo I could grab. These things are TINY!
8350280e114c2f5dd0b4663a19fc87f2.jpg

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats, there amazing fish. We've got a pair as well but not captive bred. They eat everything too. The big male will shred pieces of LRS reef frenzy like a little pit bull. They recently took a liking to reef nutrition beta brine so we don't need to purchase live brine anymore. Mysis feast and TDO chroma boost has been the latest offering that there eating. It's exciting to watch them. Before the lights go out they hunt together all over the tank.

jayala12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In the past couple months I’ve purchased two captive bred mandarins, a male and a female. I have had trouble with mandarins forever, going back at least two decades. These new’ish captive bred fish are AMAZING!!! I couldn’t recommend them more passionately. I recommend getting a pair. They eat anything. They’re active and extremely hardy. They’re so very tiny, but just adorable fish! Watching them interact is such good fun.
Sorry, but best photo I could grab. These things are TINY!
8350280e114c2f5dd0b4663a19fc87f2.jpg

Where did you get them from ?

TheShrimpMeister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get them from ?
Yes we'd like to know where too. I love all the mandarin style fish but we usually can't keep them longer than two years & most only 6months. They just show up dead for no apparent reason & more than one aquarium staff member at different places have stated it likely due to the stress of not being in their home habitat, so captive bred ones shouldn't have this issue one would think.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes we'd like to know where too. I love all the mandarin style fish but we usually can't keep them longer than two years & most only 6months. They just show up dead for no apparent reason & more than one aquarium staff member at different places have stated it likely due to the stress of not being in their home habitat, so captive bred ones shouldn't have this issue one would think.
Algae Barn has had the up for sale quite a bit in the last few weeks. Supplies are limited and like most fish availability is sporadic

OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Exactly! Buy from AlgaeBarn. These guys are the secret to Mandarin bliss!

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats, there amazing fish. We've got a pair as well but not captive bred. They eat everything too. The big male will shred pieces of LRS reef frenzy like a little pit bull. They recently took a liking to reef nutrition beta brine so we don't need to purchase live brine anymore. Mysis feast and TDO chroma boost has been the latest offering that there eating. It's exciting to watch them. Before the lights go out they hunt together all over the tank.
Mine wasn’t captive bread but also tears into Reef Frenzy! I was shocked one day when a larger chunk sank right to him and fought off a hermit and two snails to keep it for himself. I now make sure he gets a nice chunk delivered to his spot under a plating monti that most other fish cant steel it from him.

OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I forgot!!! The first one I bought was eaten alive by my arrow crab!!! I caught him eating him! Here’s the photo.... I killed that crab immediately.

130b0c121a50af95007293d9f297c070.jpg

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Biota mandarin also. They do come tiny, but man they grow fast! I got mine from LiveAquaria. I had tried before with a mandarin and it died in QT, so I broke the QT rules by just adding him directly to the DT :rolleyes:

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine wasn’t captive bread but also tears into Reef Frenzy! I was shocked one day when a larger chunk sank right to him and fought off a hermit and two snails to keep it for himself. I now make sure he gets a nice chunk delivered to his spot under a plating monti that most other fish cant steel it from him.
It's really cool to witness, I wish I could get a video!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back