Captive Bred Mandarins

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when op says the mandarin eats anything, does it include regular pellets?
I remember a while back ORA was selling madarins that eat regular pellets like NLS, and everybody wanted one so the price was quite high, but not quite as high as the price now.

jayala12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
when op says the mandarin eats anything, does it include regular pellets?
I remember a while back ORA was selling madarins that eat regular pellets like NLS, and everybody wanted one so the price was quite high, but not quite as high as the price now.

My girl just started eating pellets yesterday and they are nls

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe they (captive bred mandarins) all originate from Biota, then further distributed to other distributors ie; petco, live aquaria, algae barn etc?? Biota states they won't let one leave until they will eat pellets or frozen food.

OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What have you been feeding them? do they eat mysis shrimp?

Mine are eating finely cut mysis and tiny pellets as well as feeding on pods. They are soooooo much harder than wild caught. They have a drive to feed that the others just don’t have.

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe they (captive bred mandarins) all originate from Biota, then further distributed to other distributors ie; petco, live aquaria, algae barn etc?? Biota states they won't let one leave until they will eat pellets or frozen food.

I’m no insider, but yeah I think they all do. LA, Petco, any given lfs all get their captive bred fish from ORA, Sustainable Aquatics, Biota, and probably a few other breeders. The market is not that big. :)

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats on you not the crab, crabs just doing crab stuff. Should have done your research first!
I never knew they could eat fish for years and I did research plus took advice from a LFS many years ago. We all learn and keep learning, that's one of the great things about the hobby.

Claus84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never knew they could eat fish for years and I did research plus took advice from a LFS many years ago. We all learn and keep learning, that's one of the great things about the hobby.

True, every day is a school day with this hobby thats for sure. I was recommended an arrow crab as I wanted to thin out my bristleworm pop slightly but after a bit of research decided it wasn't worth the risk with my mandarin.

Mistakes happen, I've made plenty and most of them would have been avoidable with prior research. Its not that I take issue with it just seems fairly malicious killing the crab after the fact (rather than sumping or trading) when its 100% the owners fault not the crabs, that type of attitude just rubs me up the wrong way hence my post.

OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True, every day is a school day with this hobby thats for sure. I was recommended an arrow crab as I wanted to thin out my bristleworm pop slightly but after a bit of research decided it wasn't worth the risk with my mandarin.

Mistakes happen, I've made plenty and most of them would have been avoidable with prior research. Its not that I take issue with it just seems fairly malicious killing the crab after the fact (rather than sumping or trading) when its 100% the owners fault not the crabs, that type of attitude just rubs me up the wrong way hence my post.

Did you see the photo I posted of my arrow eating mine?

e598d66b19ceaf3f461e1bcfca3538b7.jpg

Zinovate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past couple months I’ve purchased two captive bred mandarins, a male and a female. I have had trouble with mandarins forever, going back at least two decades. These new’ish captive bred fish are AMAZING!!! I couldn’t recommend them more passionately. I recommend getting a pair. They eat anything. They’re active and extremely hardy. They’re so very tiny, but just adorable fish! Watching them interact is such good fun.
Sorry, but best photo I could grab. These things are TINY!
8350280e114c2f5dd0b4663a19fc87f2.jpg
I have 2 from Boita and they are both now eating flake food. Took tons of time and effort but it was worth it.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past couple months I’ve purchased two captive bred mandarins, a male and a female. I have had trouble with mandarins forever, going back at least two decades. These new’ish captive bred fish are AMAZING!!! I couldn’t recommend them more passionately. I recommend getting a pair. They eat anything. They’re active and extremely hardy. They’re so very tiny, but just adorable fish! Watching them interact is such good fun.
Sorry, but best photo I could grab. These things are TINY!
8350280e114c2f5dd0b4663a19fc87f2.jpg
Can I ask where you bought your pair at?

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this thread!! I’ve always wanted a pair! And I just looked at algae barn,.,,their next shipment delivers on my birthday!!! Happy bday to me!!!

I am thinking because of similar eating habits, I will QT my mandarins with my 3 blue star leopard wrasses. Any insight into this? (29-40 gallon tank - purchasing a new bigger one for larger fish/QT)

accline

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want a pair, but am worried after reading Paul B’s take on keeping Madarins. Have killed too many on bad advice in the past, and it always broke my heart. I don’t have the space for a hatchery or the time, raising my twins and my husband’s grandchildren.

On the killing of the arrow crab...are you sure he killed the fish. I’ve never seen an arrow kill a fish. They will eat the dead fish. Why not just trade him in, or better yet - give him to me

jayala12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for this thread!! I’ve always wanted a pair! And I just looked at algae barn,.,,their next shipment delivers on my birthday!!! Happy bday to me!!!

I am thinking because of similar eating habits, I will QT my mandarins with my 3 blue star leopard wrasses. Any insight into this? (29-40 gallon tank - purchasing a new bigger one for larger fish/QT)
Sign up for the email notifications and when you get them be ready. They go very quickly especially the males. Like a few minutes quickly. Just a heads up. I gave up and got one from petco and now she eats pellets. Thank the reef gods!!!!

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of successful reefers keeping mandarins despite Paul b's take IMO. Captive bred is definitely a step in the right direction. You have to make sure the fish eats multiple times a day. As for the crab, there opportunistic feeders and would have no problem grabbing a small sleeping mandarin. No crab will ever reside in our reef.

Carl Eckelman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one from live aquaria but it has only been a couple of months it does eat frozen and flake
But I made a tisbee hut from a sponge bob aquarium hut and shoved open cell aquatic filler and then I shot live ‘tis we pods and phyto. Now I have so many live tisbee pods I don’t think he will ever run out

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back