Captive bred scooter blenny

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is newly cycled and I will have two clownfish in it in one week or so. They are still in QT tank for now.

My LFS is selling captive bred scooter blenny and I rarely see captive bred one. I want to get it but I have few questions.

-if I get the blenny, it will be QT for at least 2 weeks or more. Will my tank be okay? Or am I rushing it?
-is it okay to add scooter blenny on new tank when there is no algae to graze on? Or should I wait until I have algae issue?
-do you need sand in QT tank? Do you just feed algae sheet while he is in QT tank?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is newly cycled and I will have two clownfish in it in one week or so. They are still in QT tank for now.

My LFS is selling captive bred scooter blenny and I rarely see captive bred one. I want to get it but I have few questions.

-if I get the blenny, it will be QT for at least 2 weeks or more. Will my tank be okay? Or am I rushing it?
-is it okay to add scooter blenny on new tank when there is no algae to graze on? Or should I wait until I have algae issue?
-do you need sand in QT tank? Do you just feed algae sheet while he is in QT tank?

Scooter blennies are not blennies and they do not eat algae...they eat copepods... It would need to be fed a lot in a new tank since there is no good pod source which would probably contribute to nutrient of algae issues in such a young tank.

I leave the flow off for an hour or two for my captive Mandarin and feed it ova and freshly hatched live brine and live pods but mine is in a very established tank.

FYI it is normal after a cycle to get a pod bloom only to have them vanish weeks later so don't have that make you jump the gun on their care.

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 They do not eat algae, my mandarin is captive bred and eats my tanks pods and frozen cyclops that I put in the tank for her. A new tank is not very good for dragonets since they will have no pods to graze on throughout the day even if eating frozen so you'd have to feed a lot like Tamberav said. Whats the tank size?

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh sorry I got mixed up. So lawnmower blenny is NOT scooter blenny?

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, lawnmower blenny is an actual blenny while scooter blennies despite their name are dragonets. Is your LFS selling

1590106127389.png
this?

or

1590106148468.png
this?

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then no it is not a lawnmower blenny its the dragonet. If you're looking for a lawnmower blenny some online places may have them such as bluezooaquatics or Liveaquaria. If you are in fact looking for a scooter blenny I would suggest not getting one until your tank is more established and has enough pods for it.

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then no it is not a lawnmower blenny its the dragonet. If you're looking for a lawnmower blenny some online places may have them such as bluezooaquatics or Liveaquaria. If you are in fact looking for a scooter blenny I would suggest not getting one until your tank is more established and has enough pods for it.

No I don't want difficult fish right now. I thought they are the same.

I am in Canada and unfortunately those places that you recommended do not ship here.

Thanks anyway

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I didn't see your location, maybe your LFS can get some lawnmower blennies in?

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I didn't see your location, maybe your LFS can get some lawnmower blennies in?

I am sure I will see them now and then. But i prefer a captive bred one if it is possible.

Questions to you and everyone else:
-is it okay to add lawnmower blenny on new tank when there is no algae to graze on? Or should I wait until I have algae issue?

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Molly miller blennies are commonly sold CB and are supposedly as good at eating algae as the algae blenny, if you are looking for something CB

wmo168

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI. There is not or any captive bred Scooter Blenny exists, they are so disposable and cheap and it is very hard to breed them. The regular color one are like $3-4 wholesale when caught in wild. They dont last unless you have a 100+ gallon tank with fuge. I really wonder why and how your LFS claim it is captive bred. Even ORA has a hard time breeding the Red Scooter blenny to mass produce them to make profit

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI. There is not or any captive bred Scooter Blenny exists, they are so disposable and cheap and it is very hard to breed them. The regular color one are like $3-4 wholesale when caught in wild. They dont last unless you have a 100+ gallon tank with fuge. I really wonder why and how your LFS claim it is captive bred. Even ORA has a hard time breeding the Red Scooter blenny to mass produce them to make profit
Yes there are, LA had some ORA captive bred scooters on DD a week or two ago. I do agree though that captive bred ones are pretty hard to come across and very hard to produce.

I am not looking for scooter blenny. I was mixed up between lawnmower and scooter. Sorry :)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back