Captive Mandrain Male

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I have a female captive breed mandrain in my tank for 2 year. I descide to try and add a Male, he arrived this past Tuesday, (both from Biota) She just keeps chasing him. So from what I can see this isn't a match at this point. What I'm asking will this settle down and they will coexist? Or should I get him out? Any other advise from here will help.

3 year old IM 40, mixed reef I add Algae barn Pod's every 2 weeks

Again thanks in advance

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would give it 2-3 days with frequent discreet observation to make sure there isn’t any serious combativeness. chasing is one thing but fighting/nipping would be a whole other level (which i don’t think mandarins typically do).

plenty of hiding spaces??

OP
OP
AZReef13

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes there is, sure hope thats what he is doing yesterday, Didn't see him at all. She was out,

Thanks

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a female to a male and it was scary. The male bit and tore fin on day one, then on day two they chased around and away from each other. Finally day 3 they got a long.

sfairtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful. It is my understanding that mandarin can be very territorial and will definitely fight. I have one myself and when looking into adding another I was told and read it can be tricky. Good luck!

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have done this before as well and it failed. My female had been in tank for over a year. She killed the male i added by next day. How do you know you ask lol...... she carried the body around in her mouth like a trophy.
In a tank that size you may not want to add anymore anyways. They usually need a bigger tank because of there feeding habits but you adding pods every few weeks is doing the trick. A second one though might be tough

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likely not going to work out well in a 40.
Best to only keep one of these.
FE81E52F-6C70-498B-825F-5427A0AF9FE5.jpeg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry but female Mandarin will to mate with smaller male. Your have your Female for 2 years, she is a lot bigger than the male. If you want a pair, you must get a large wild caught male, or else trade that female to a younger smaller female.
It will be hard to keep a pair in a 40 gal tank any way. You should just stick with one. Trade the female in.

OP
OP
AZReef13

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, well shortly after I made this post I haven't seen him. She has been out like normal, and dosen't appear to be looking for him. I'm hoping he found a safe spot, but I doubt it.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over many years of keeping Mandarin Dragons, I have yet have problem with pairing them other than two times, and learn something new each of these two times.
1. Both were males. I mistake one for being a female becasue the spike broken off during capture and transport. I though I bought a female but it urn out to be a male. Now I can tell with almost certainty if a Mandarin is a male, even with the spike broken off. The key is the shape of the 1st part of the dorsal fin.
2. Larger Female. She will absolutely not tolerate smaller males. When you get a huge female in your tank, she will be an old maid. :)

OP
OP
AZReef13

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha well She is still small, but larger than the male that showed up... I'm pretty sure she didn't want an arranged marriages

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back