OP
OP
Fastpitch

Fastpitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why all the hate for vibrant? I know lots of reefers that dose daily and have success with the product ?

As for it being an algeacide ? Well i dosed vibrant for months in my tank to remove GHA and it did nothing . So if it is an algeacide it must not be a very good one lol

If you are running FOWLR why are you so concerned with nitrate and phosphate levels? The fish will be more than ok with elevated levels of both or bottomed out levels of both
After seeing Randys post earlier this year and 84 pages of conversation, I guess I am hating a little. I'll admit it. If the company advertised as a bacteria and is in fact an algaecide, that is a little messed up.

But I am not trying to reopen that can of worms here.
yes you probably need to dose po4 so the bacteria and carbon can consume it with the no3, if the po4 goes 0 the carbon dosing will stop consuming the no3
Yes. That was my plan, but after 3 weeks of this, I am questioning if I will ever see a bottom. And whether I have been dosing some king of PO4 only consuming bacteria (MB7)

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no hate for the product, but if it says it's bacteria and actualy it's an algaecide that can be bought for half the price I think you might mad at the manufacturer
It doesnt say anywhere on the bottle that it is a " algaecide" or " bacteria" so maybe people are making assumptions??

It does say this on my bottle at home

For a very well taken care of, clean aquarium, add 1ml of Vibrant per 10 gallons of aquarium water once every 2 weeks.For a dirtier aquarium, add 1ml of Vibrant per 10 gallons of aquarium water once per week.
If you are battling Bryopsis or Turf algae, dose 1ml of Vibrant per 10 gallons of aquarium water two times per week.There is no need to discontinue the use of any filtration while using Vibrant.
Vibrant is safe with all fish, corals and invertebrates.
Vibrant works differently in every aquarium. Some people see almost instant results and some people will have to do multiple treatments for it to kick in and take over. If the first dose knocks it out, great! If not, follow the dosing schedule and sooner than later you will have a clean Vibrant tank also :)

OP
OP
Fastpitch

Fastpitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesnt say anywhere on the bottle that it is a " algaecide" or " bacteria" so maybe people are making assumptions??

For a very well taken care of, clean aquarium, add 1ml of Vibrant per 10 gallons of aquarium water once every 2 weeks.For a dirtier aquarium, add 1ml of Vibrant per 10 gallons of aquarium water once per week.
If you are battling Bryopsis or Turf algae, dose 1ml of Vibrant per 10 gallons of aquarium water two times per week.There is no need to discontinue the use of any filtration while using Vibrant.
Vibrant works differently in every aquarium. Some people see almost instant results and some people will have to do multiple treatments for it to kick in and take over. If the first dose knocks it out, great! If not, follow the dosing schedule and sooner than later you will have a clean Vibrant tank also :)

See their website. I just learned about this about 30 min ago as well......

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a buddy reefer who is also a marine biologist and doses his tanks daily with vibrant

i dont think its the devil product everyone on this forum is making it out to be

OP
OP
Fastpitch

Fastpitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a buddy reefer who is also a marine biologist and doses his tanks daily with vibrant

i dont think its the devil product everyone on this forum is making it out to be

I will not speak for anyone else but myself. I guess I wont think of it as a devil product. But if it is in fact an algaecide, (not bacteria) that changes completely how I will use it going forward.

Its kinda key information we have a right to know.

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will not speak for anyone else but myself. I guess I wont think of it as a devil product. But if it is in fact an algaecide, (not bacteria) that changes completely how I will use it going forward.

Its kinda key information we have a right to know.
For sure !

But like i said if it is an algacide then its not a very good one. It literally did nothing not even a dent on my GHA i had in my tank when i dosed vibrant for months

Just my experience with the product again but that is worth mentioning i think

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, Wanted to say thanks again for this heads up. Although there is a LOT of information about this out there, I somehow missed all of it.

This is why R2R is such a GREAT resource for all of us.
Any chance you can borrow, rent or buy a 150 gallon vat Rubbermaid ( $150.00 ) at a farm supply store, or maybe rent from local LFS ...... 1 water change, then maintain?

OP
OP
Fastpitch

Fastpitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you can borrow, rent or buy a 150 gallon vat Rubbermaid ( $150.00 ) at a farm supply store, or maybe rent from local LFS ...... 1 water change, then maintain?
Never thought about that.....

I might have to get creative at some point. Right now I need to halt the Vibrant based on what I learned today. Then re-assess. One thing I have learned in this hobby is to tackle one thing at a time. Putting Vibrant on ice has now become my priority and it is probably going to have downstream impact. What that changes is anybody's guess.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why all the hate for vibrant? I know lots of reefers that dose daily and have success with the product ?

As for it being an algeacide ? Well i dosed vibrant for months in my tank to remove GHA and it did nothing . So if it is an algeacide it must not be a very good one lol

If you are running FOWLR why are you so concerned with nitrate and phosphate levels? The fish will be more than ok with elevated levels of both or bottomed out levels of both

The hate is for mislabeling and the unknown risks that it makes reefers take. if you wanted that identical chemical algaecide, Algaefix provides it.

It is a very specific algaecide with other known properties (e.g., it is fda approved to kill mollusks). That doesn't mean it kills any given algae or mollusk at the doses you dosed, any more than a given antibiotic kills every bacteria.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Right, they made the apparently incorrect assumption that the company was telling the contents accurately.

I'd suggest reading up before commenting further. The company stopped defending the product many months ago when the EPA came for a 'for cause" site inspection.

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, they made the apparently incorrect assumption that the company was telling the contents accurately.

I'd suggest reading up before commenting further. The company stopped defending the product many months ago when the EPA came for a 'for cause" site inspection.

I can comment on it freely as you are free to comment on it . Is that the standard on this site to silence those that disagree with your opinion?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can comment on it freely as you are free to comment on it . Is that the standard on this site to silence those that disagree with your opinion?

Of course we do not silence any comments within the terms of service. I'm also not trying to at all discourage dissenting voices.

I was just cautioning that you might want to come up to speed on the published public developments before commenting since you seemed to be somewhat unaware of what is happening with UWC/vibrant.

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course we do not silence any comments within the terms of service. I'm also not trying to at all discourage dissenting voices.

I was just cautioning that you might want to come up to speed on the published public developments before commenting since you seemed to be somewhat unaware of what is happening with UWC/vibrant.
That is fair .

I did read many posts by yourself and others regarding vibrant . I didnt see any data from either side to verify the claims .

Did i miss that post ?

In my experience with the product it did nothing to the GHA in my tank over months of dosing so this is why myself personally i am finding it difficult to call this product an " algaecide " . 5 months of dosing and not a scratch to the GHA.

What did work for me was GFO phosban reactor and manual pulling

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back