Carbonic Acid

StefanB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is, do you think increased Carbonic Acid within a reef tank from atmospheric Co2 causes irritation to soft coral tissue?

I believe that low PH due to increased Carbonic Acid affects carbonate and arogonite formation. Could this be a cause for RTN within hard corals. Acros and SPS? Thank you!

@Randy Holmes-Farley

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is, do you think increased Carbonic Acid within a reef tank from atmospheric Co2 causes irritation to soft coral tissue?

I believe that low PH due to increased Carbonic Acid affects carbonate and arogonite formation. Could this be a cause for RTN within hard corals. Acros and SPS? Thank you!

@Randy Holmes-Farley
Isn’t this the same concern as that of increasing acidity of the ocean?

Rico's Reefnecks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a nice discussion with some literature references. My take-away is that even within SPS the effects are species-specific, but most focus seems to be on skeleton formation rather than tissue damage per se.

In particular, one of the papers referenced seems to indicate that pH changes in this range don't seem to affect the coral tissue metabolism (photosynthesis rates etc) very much, and the authors note that other studies have been equivocal. But the calcification rate in the skeleton is more strongly affected (with acropora seemingly more sensitive than a stylophora, pocillopora).

But its an intriguing idea - maybe there's some other injury/immune compromise not measured here that makes them vulnerable to infections etc. Most likely one of many factors.

Interested to see the perspectives of others here.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a nice discussion with some literature references. My take-away is that even within SPS the effects are species-specific, but most focus seems to be on skeleton formation rather than tissue damage per se.

In particular, one of the papers referenced seems to indicate that pH changes in this range don't seem to affect the coral tissue metabolism (photosynthesis rates etc) very much, and the authors note that other studies have been equivocal. But the calcification rate in the skeleton is more strongly affected (with acropora seemingly more sensitive than a stylophora, pocillopora).

But its an intriguing idea - maybe there's some other injury/immune compromise not measured here that makes them vulnerable to infections etc. Most likely one of many factors.

Interested to see the perspectives of others here.
Thanks for these links.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Randy Holmes-Farley
My coral definately seem happier with pH at 8.2 or above. The difference was very noticeable with regard to polyp extension at night and its ability to spread out on to the rock. There was a noticeable white band around the coral base, I presume this is the coral preparing the way for growth. This coincided with maintaining night time pH and obviously not directly related to increased ability to calcify through higher pH. I posted this observation on my bubbly CO2 scrubber thread a while back.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back