Cardinal gradually losing swim balance

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Bluestreak Cardinal pair and one has been gradually losing swimming stability. I do not believe this to be parameter, disease or parasite related. I have had these cardinals for multiple years, have not added anything new to the system in over a year, test all parameters regularly including ATI tests, change water weekly, and all other fish in the tank are doing well.

My guess is maybe old age and one of the first symptoms of that is losing swim bladder? Otherwise Im a bit stumped as to what it might be.

Here is video:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have a Bluestreak Cardinal pair and one has been gradually losing swimming stability. I do not believe this to be parameter, disease or parasite related. I have had these cardinals for multiple years, have not added anything new to the system in over a year, test all parameters regularly including ATI tests, change water weekly, and all other fish in the tank are doing well.

My guess is maybe old age and one of the first symptoms of that is losing swim bladder? Otherwise Im a bit stumped as to what it might be.

Here is video:

Havent seen these guys in a while. I dont think its constipation but may be a buoyancy issue and you are also correct about age. Typical span for bangaii and pajama is 2-3 years and your blue streak also called threadfin is 3-5 years. Often cardinals will lose appetite and weaken as first signs of aging

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Havent seen these guys in a while. I dont think its constipation but may be a buoyancy issue and you are also correct about age. Typical span for bangaii and pajama is 2-3 years and your blue streak also called threadfin is 3-5 years. Often cardinals will lose appetite and weaken as first signs of aging
They are amazing fish - I started with 3 almost two years ago. The third one got weeded out almost immediately but these 2 have been with me for a good amount of time since. They are ferocious eaters but otherwise as timid as they come.

It is so gradual that it does feel like age but you always wonder if its something bigger. Losing fish is no fun

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately we lost him yesterday - gradually deteriorated until he passed. Hard to say if it was anything but old age but we’ll never know for certain. Rest easy, old friend

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Unfortunately we lost him yesterday - gradually deteriorated until he passed. Hard to say if it was anything but old age but we’ll never know for certain. Rest easy, old friend
Sorry to hear. Age may have been a factor

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 150 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%

Back