CaribSea Arag-Alive claims no rinsing needed and fast clear water - is it legit?

chousecat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am upgrading to a new tank and want to use new sand, the only sand that my LFS had was this CaribSea Arag-Alive https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/fiji-pink-arag-alive-live-reef-sand.html . The worker at the LFS claims it doesn't need a rinse and can be thrown in. Anyone have experience with how cloudy this sand is and if whats advertised is legit?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it's not very clear at all, only for some that get lucky. Cup test it....put an unrinsed handful into a glass of clear water, imagine that being your tank

The fix: pre rinse it in tap. It's bacteria don't matter, being clear in prep for the new tank matters.

Reef Psychology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, if this is a new tank, what's one day of dirty water? Double the filter floss and it's usually crystal clear in the morning. Of course, there's a later of haze on the rock and sand but that's gone in a couple of more days. IDK, seems like a lot of rising work for 24hrs of lazy waiting lol.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some don't clear though

Most do, but page one below has about fifteen examples of those who didn't clear due to high silt rates

We make such good work out of pre rinsing

taylored_projects

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am upgrading to a new tank and want to use new sand, the only sand that my LFS had was this CaribSea Arag-Alive https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/fiji-pink-arag-alive-live-reef-sand.html . The worker at the LFS claims it doesn't need a rinse and can be thrown in. Anyone have experience with how cloudy this sand is and if whats advertised is legit?
I've always used it right out of the bag. Sand first then the water. I've never added the sand to an already-filled tank.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if you could get by doing something like this. The bagged sand is already wet so maybe put it in a bucket of aquarium water, stir and use a sieve like Dan suggests here.
How would you like to take a bag of new aragonite sand, treat it dry and then rinse once with a minimum amount of water to produce sand that barely produces a haze?

All that is needed to “treat” the dry sand is an 80 mesh screen. The 80 mesh screen holds back the sand and lets most of the dust fall through. For example, I sieved 29.6 g of sand for about 30 seconds and removed 5.6 g of dust, the sand fraction that takes a small pond full of water to remove. The 24 g of sand retained barely clouds water and rinsed once does not noticeably cloud the water at all. A sieve is relatively cheap too.

CoachRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you rinse live sand? That kind of takes the whole purpose out of it. It comes with a packet of clarifier. It didn't use it in mine. I think a lot of it is the care you take when you fill the tank. When you empty the bag, place it on the sand and fill the tank by pour the water on the bag. It helps a lot with the cloudiness.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rinsing live sand defies the purpose of it being "live". however I still rinse it; on my first nano the cloudiness was unbearable and whenever I did maintenance it would release any of the dust trapped down causing the whole tank to become cloudy. I would recommend rinsing it with RODI, tap water in my experience was high in silicates and caused some problems such as diatoms.

Morpheosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my tank with that sand and it wasn't too terribly cloudy and I used the packet of clarifier and it cleared up in no time. Agree with all the comments that rinsing live sand is killing the live part. I think I even stirred it a bit with my hand to release what I could and let the clarifier clump it and filter sock remove it.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imagine a scenario where a fifty page thread on the matter exists for reading, the only one on the internet, and then you consider advice that doesn't come from any work thread and advises polar opposite procedures and says pre rinsing is bad

Examples shown on page one of the thread are numerous for folks who hated skip rinsing, showing opaque muddy tanks but that isn't factored

Following group think has a consequence at times, we show

I would for sure do what the crowd says to do, don't read the thread, don't pre test the sand just dump that stuff right in :) post pics after pls

tappp.jpeg.jpg

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Imagine a scenario where a fifty page thread on the matter exists for reading, the only one on the internet, and then you consider advice that doesn't come from any work thread and advises polar opposite procedures and says pre rinsing is bad

Examples shown on page one of the thread are numerous for folks who hated skip rinsing, showing opaque muddy tanks but that isn't factored

Following group think has a consequence at times, we show

I would for sure do what the crowd says to do, don't read the thread, don't pre test the sand just dump that stuff right in :) post pics after pls
I am sensing morning sarcasm... but I haven't had a coffee yet, I could be off.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has a 95% chance of success by not rinsing

But not one hundred/ the opaqued team gets its members down this path he he

Do a cup test, imagine that being our display...

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used tons of bags of that stuff over the years in several different tanks and have never had a lingering dirty water issue. I put sand in first (not washed or filtered or anything) and then pour the water into the tank over the empty bag of sand. Pouring water over an empty bag of sand is the key!

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He has a 95% chance of success by not rinsing

But not one hundred/ the opaqued team gets its members down this path he he
I actually have 9 bags of Fiji Pink sitting here, and I can see white water when moving the bag around... rinsing for sure!!!

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would anybody even buy live sand knowing they're going to rinse it? Lol While cycling there's nothing in your tank anyway. Just stir it once a day and let your filter pull it out. Within a couple days you're good. Again nothing in the tank anyway. Why do reefers insist on making things so much more difficult than they are?

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve used tons of bags of that stuff over the years in several different tanks and have never had a lingering dirty water issue. I put sand in first (not washed or filtered or anything) and then pour the water into the tank over the empty bag of sand. Pouring water over an empty bag of sand is the key!
The issue is not lingering for sure, but this dusting will be everywhere... and whipping it all under the water, plus washing the filter socks is more of a pain IMHO.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why would anybody even buy live sand knowing they're going to rinse it? Lol While cycling there's nothing in your tank anyway. Just stir it once a day and let your filter pull it out. Within a couple days you're good. Again nothing in the tank anyway. Why do reefers insist on making things so much more difficult than they are?
In my case, the price was unbeatable. Petco had it on sale, $10 per 20lb bag, shipped to the house for free.

FMF0331

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a frag tank with the same product, I dumped everything into the tank. Waited a few days and everything was good to go.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truly most bags aren't the very high silt kind, it's why the masses are ok not rinsing

But if someone makes a work thread about sand, losing one of every ten jobs to an unhappy outcome isn't acceptable

What works in our home via luck and no planning doesn't always translate well for others

The only path to 8 years of work in one thread with perfect outcomes is....

Non rinsers tell everyone it'll work without a problem, these guys believed that:

10 days, still won't settle and clouds fully

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back