CaribSea Arag-Alive claims no rinsing needed and fast clear water - is it legit?

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just order "non-alive" sand, and do like the instructions say and "rince sand well." It's cheaper, too!

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used CaribSea sand several times and yes, it does get cloudy. It come with a small packet of water clarifier that’s safe for tank residents. Just added sand a couple days ago. Stayed cloudy a few hours but cleared pretty quickly. Did rinse it with water from tank when I changed some water though.

Fort Salty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you just ask your lfs if they can order some dead sand for you? It may be cheaper since you want to rinse out the "live" part. I for one had no issues and have very clear water now. (Well, besides the occasional antics of my pistol shrimp)

Lfs place orders regularly and can probably get what you want if you ask.

FS

tydeck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you just ask your lfs if they can order some dead sand for you? It may be cheaper since you want to rinse out the "live" part. I for one had no issues and have very clear water now. (Well, besides the occasional antics of my pistol shrimp)

Lfs place orders regularly and can probably get what you want if you ask.

FS
And you support a local business. Save on shipping.

Sfork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just order "non-alive" sand, and do like the instructions say and "rince sand well." It's cheaper, too!

Cuzz it’s not cheaper the live stuff is only $14 for 20lb. My first time using it After 15 years of reef keeping (last tank was bare bottom) so much regret.

Indymann99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did an entire tank reboot. I added the sand after water testing buy cutting open the bag at the top dropping entire bag to the bottom and slowly dumping out the sand (NOTE Carribsea includes some “packets” of water clarifier in with the sand that I had to dig around and remove). I installed filter socks and ran gyre pumps and return, took about 2 days to clear. Never did use the “water clarifier packets”.
3A63A76B-6055-4D3E-8D82-CED80130F1F5.jpeg
A4452720-EB2C-49B5-8E8C-8421AB089232.jpeg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey nice job getting lucky

if you had a problem in cycling due to live rock bacteria killed off by some holding condition during the move, one of the symptoms that would manifest in your tank tank made from the old biomedia is water clouding

you'd have a cloudy tank with no reason to be cloudy, we expect cloud from unrinsed sand always.

cycled reefs carry bioload in clear water

problem cycle reefs get cloudy

so by instating 48 guaranteed hours of sand clouding, for no gain, you had to get lucky that no real symptoms were happening/you couldnt see if they happened to take remedial action in time

Pre rinsed setups always transfer safely, for everyone. Some systems don't clear in 48 hours, we fix those ahead of time by pre rinsing

Last edited:

Reef Psychology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, who knew to rinse or not to rinse was controversial? Not I.

My experience in research is mostly in behavioral psych, but the methodology is similar to the other sciences and @brandon429 isn't wrong. Since we neither have the tools nor the expertise to examine these sorts of claims, most of this isn't even 'academic', it's anecdotal. Of course experience matters - it's critical.

I believe that in brand new tanks with no higher animals yet in it, the 'cloudiness' may actually be beneficial or at least informative. I live near a coastal bay and I see the sand churned up for a few hours with every high tide. You can see it like a dark wall at the mouth of the bay. I would think it would be just another place for bacteria to attach and cling everywhere in our tanks. And, when it finally settles, it is visual evidence that bacteria is proliferating. In the 15+ tanks I have set up with live sand I've never experienced any issues. When I used Aragonite dry sand I've actually seen cycles take longer by sometimes a few weeks. That's not proof of anything - it's just my experience.

Anyway, if you want to rinse or not rinse it, I don't think it matters that much. Me, I'm lazy and don't like hunching over buckets of sand, so I'll just dump it in and double the filter floss. If you want your water clear in a few hours vs a few days, all the power to you. Just don't over pay for a 'perk' you're not going to use.

besskurz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't rinse this kind of sand. It's supposed to be added without rinsing. It comes often with a small bag of chemical to quickly fix any couldy issues. Even though I never used lt.

I only rinse dry sand, to remove fines.

This is one day after pouring water.
20220619_143002.jpg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was planning to use dry (Fiji pink) sand for my new build, but at the time, the live version was about 30% less expensive (strange, I know!) so I bought bags of that instead. I do plan to rinse it before using because 1) I didn't like the cloudy water when I used it last time, and 2) it's likely that the bacteria they add doesn't actually survive in saltwater (the water in the bag isn't salt...) so if anything it helps the nitrogen cycle by adding an ammonia source.

(Of course I might get lazy and just toss in the DE filter ;) )

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s ketchup on a hotdog and then there’s not pre rinsing sand

we know that it’ll clear usually always :) but it’s 48 hours with the fly down at an out of town business convention, its a gravy stain on the tie barely concealed by day three, there’s cufflinks clean as one option, and then there’s winging it without ever trimming the nose hairs mode. There’s uncouth vs couth

to me that’s the essence of rinse vs no rinse lol

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See that stratified top layer of silt

each time you lift the rock to clean it wafts around

it complexes to other waste as high fraction silt

rinse eeet out before you pile costly life on it

a reef that has simply no clouding potential runs better long term

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey nice job getting lucky

if you had a problem in cycling due to live rock bacteria killed off by some holding condition during the move, one of the symptoms that would manifest in your tank tank made from the old biomedia is water clouding

you'd have a cloudy tank with no reason to be cloudy, we expect cloud from unrinsed sand always.

cycled reefs carry bioload in clear water

problem cycle reefs get cloudy

so by instating 48 guaranteed hours of sand clouding, for no gain, you had to get lucky that no real symptoms were happening/you couldnt see if they happened to take remedial action in time

Pre rinsed setups always transfer safely, for everyone. Some systems don't clear in 48 hours, we fix those ahead of time by pre rinsing

How is he just lucky that his water cleared up after you admitted that the vast majority of people have zero issues not rinsing sand?

Reef Psychology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always had good luck with Arag-Alive

I started my new setup/transfer on the morning of Sept 29th with unrinsed Arag-Alive.
2B43FA9D-ECA1-4948-B114-395546CACD81.jpeg

Here was a couple hours after setup, at 3pm on Sept 29th
3EEB96B3-EC0A-4CB6-BDA9-C9CA8298B527.jpeg

Here it was three hours later, around 6pm on Sept 29th.
04114796-3EDB-4EE2-B230-F920BA249318.jpeg

Here is how clear it was a couple days later on October 1st
35DC3573-D753-4A26-BF34-1030AB76993E.jpeg

I added their bio-clarifier to help speed up the process. I also don’t use filter socks or mechanical filtration, so I’d imagine it would clear up even quicker in a tank that does.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really its a good pico, Maritza the vase reef wouldn’t rinse her vase sandbed and its done fine for nine years now/ mvr on YouTube / very top shelf pico reef like that round one above can be for sure. there simply isn’t benefit in sandbed bacteria, it’s why bare bottom reefs don’t die. Sandbed non rinsers are retaining something that is of neutral impact to a reef tank, we have n=20000 for rip cleans which are sandbed tap water rinses to complete cloudlessness working out just fine.

not rinsing will never work in a real work thread for the public, the author will be apologizing for wrecked setups every few pages. What I would love to see is a multipage guided sandbed procedure thread where nobody rinses, ever, for any type of sandbed job,

we investigated the extreme side of de silting

someone now should investigate the side of having all entrants for help in upgrades, moves and tank transfers not rinse one time ever and regain all original silt plus all accumulated sandbed organics, a no rinsing work thread.

By page twenty, madness heh

work threads are excellent procedural best practice filters, if our advice wrecks someone’s tank it’s a painful public accounting. pre rinsing all substrate is the strongest demo’d method in reefing, it’s logged results are excellent and searchable by all.

Last edited:

besskurz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really its a good pico, Maritza the vase reef wouldn’t rinse her vase sandbed and its done fine for nine years now/ mvr on YouTube / very top shelf pico reef like that round one above can be for sure. there simply isn’t benefit in sandbed bacteria, it’s why bare bottom reefs don’t die. Sandbed non rinsers are retaining something that is of neutral impact to a reef tank, we have n=20000 for rip cleans which are sandbed tap water rinses to complete cloudlessness working out just fine.

not rinsing will never work in a real work thread for the public, the author will be apologizing for wrecked setups every few pages. What I would love to see is a multipage guided sandbed procedure thread where nobody rinses, ever, for any type of sandbed job,

we investigated the extreme side of de silting

someone now should investigate the side of having all entrants for help in upgrades, moves and tank transfers not rinse one time ever and regain all original silt plus all accumulated sandbed organics, a no rinsing work thread.

By page twenty, madness heh

work threads are excellent procedural best practice filters, if our advice wrecks someone’s tank it’s a painful public accounting. pre rinsing all substrate is the strongest demo’d method in reefing, it’s logged results are excellent and searchable by all.

@Bulk Reef Supply - here is a good topic to brstv investigates

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They already did sand bed pulling and deemed it harmful based on their one off results.

they didn’t do light ramping

it wasn’t the sand removal that was the issue

also, we never remove sand while the tank is full

it’s disassembly cleaning that makes fifty page work threads

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.9%
Back