Caribsea LifeRock and cycling

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering what experiences have been had with LifeRock in regards to cycling. Caribsea claims there is indeed spored bacteria in/on their rocks, and that organics can be added without additional bac in a bottle. I’ve also seen that adding bac will delay the cycle since the different types of bacteria won’t play mode and take longer to establish. Any merit to this? Or should I plan on some MicroBacter XLM as originally had on the schedule?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering what experiences have been had with LifeRock in regards to cycling. Caribsea claims there is indeed spored bacteria in/on their rocks, and that organics can be added without additional bac in a bottle. I’ve also seen that adding bac will delay the cycle since the different types of bacteria won’t play mode and take longer to establish. Any merit to this? Or should I plan on some MicroBacter XLM as originally had on the schedule?
Is the system consuming ammonia?

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen a couple videos, including BRS, while using the Brightwell cycling kit, to not use anything but dry rock and dry sand, so I’m wondering where the conflict is coming from. Just trying to get a logical plan together on how I’m going to decide to cycle my setup.

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found my liferock didn't really do anything, and I ended up seeding it with some LR from an established display tank at my LFS. Obviously some risk, but it worked, I had Nitrates that night and never saw any ammonia spike.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found my liferock didn't really do anything, and I ended up seeding it with some LR from an established display tank at my LFS. Obviously some risk, but it worked, I had Nitrates that night and never saw any ammonia spike.
What did you add for organics and did you have any ammonia reading before you added the LR in?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen a couple videos, including BRS, while using the Brightwell cycling kit, to not use anything but dry rock and dry sand, so I’m wondering where the conflict is coming from. Just trying to get a logical plan together on how I’m going to decide to cycle my setup.
Use Fritz Turbo Start, Bio Spira or Dr. Tim’s to establish a nitrifying bacteria population in the new aquarium. The end.

The hobby has gone crazy about bacteria but nothing new has been discovered about starting an aquarium. Once the nitrifying bacteria are established with the above bacteria products you can experiment to your hearts desire with other bacteria products without fear.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use Fritz Turbo Start, Bio Spira or Dr. Tim’s to establish a nitrifying bacteria population in the new aquarium. The end.

The hobby has gone crazy about bacteria but nothing new has been discovered about starting an aquarium. Once the nitrifying bacteria are established with the above bacteria products you can experiment to your hearts desire with other bacteria products without fear.
That was the original plan, I’ll probably go back to it with Fritz. I am curious as to how well the spored bacteria in the LifeRock would do in terms of timeline if I added an organic source. May be worth trying for personal knowledge.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was the original plan, I’ll probably go back to it with Fritz. I am curious as to how well the spored bacteria in the LifeRock would do in terms of timeline if I added an organic source. May be worth trying for personal knowledge.
It would be an interesting experiment If you have the time.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Caribsea life Rock and I didn't notice any ammonia consumption whatsoever. And we were testing everyday and the only thing that gave it a kick in the **** was a bottle of Bio Spira.

After that it was a matter of maybe two or three days and ammonia and nitrites did its thing.

Also I did it old school way, I added a damsel and like I said nothing changed until adding the instant ocean bacteria.

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back