Caribsea Oolite vs Fiji Pink - is it really that big of a difference?

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a lot of people mention how dusty the oolite is. I purchased the Fiji pink which is still tiny, and feels like a good trade off.

But can’t get over the oolite and how clean and wavy it looks. I have a 36Lx24h tank, planning for corals eventually.

What’s your experience with either?

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't tried the oolite. Figi pink blew all over. I had better luck with the special grade. I've never been able to keep the sand really clean looking like some people can do so I'm all barebottom now.
Do you think the blow around is inevitable? I read a lot of people like special grade too, was hoping the Fiji was a in between.. do you like the color of the special grade too? It’s hard to find actual examples of the sand in use

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you’re hoping for SPS, the Fiji pink is not the best choice. I have it in my 40 gallon and even though that tank is only medium flow it still is blown out of corners and the like.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think the blow around is inevitable? I read a lot of people like special grade too, was hoping the Fiji was a in between.. do you like the color of the special grade too? It’s hard to find actual examples of the sand in use
It all depends on your flow. Enough flow and any sand will blow. The pink just blows around with less flow compared to some. As far as color I liked the pink over the special grade when it was new. I've mixed sand before also but it's been so long I can't remember which sands.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 44 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 159 73.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.6%
Back