Carnivorous or not

  • Thread starter Thread starter SaraJames
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

SaraJames

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 23, 2026
Messages
79
Reaction score
54
Location
Wilmington
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20260715_203640_711D4A20-7B71-4CA5-9CD4-6693A9B6CF88.png


20260715_203640_E99BA485-5FB7-48F6-A8F6-67F1036351C6.png

So this guy has been in the tank awhile. I was told it is a strawberry conch. Recently I have found him eating snails. At first I thought it was because they had died but now I’m not so sure.

Today I was feeding my anemone some shrimp and within 2-3 minutes I noticed this guy basically in the middle of the anemone trying to get the shrimp.

Am I crazy or could this guy be a different kind of conch.
 
That's appears to be a Crown Conch, in which case it is predatory to other mollusks.
 
I guess that explains why I can’t keep any of my snails alive. Thanks!
You're welcome!

Yea we have them all over the place here in Pensacola. They're actually really important for keeping the Oyster Drill (a snail that eats Oysters by literally drilling a hole in their shell) population in check.

I always thought a small one would be neat for a reef tank but they need a consistent diet of bivalves and other mollusks.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 5 35.7%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 21.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new