Carpenter wrasse dying?

Canaan Gary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a carpenter flasher about a week ago. At first it had a hard time adjusting but then it did just fine. It was eating well. Now it’s just lying in the corner of my tank. I tried feeding him today and he didn’t even flinch. I have no clue what’s going on with it. Any thoughts?

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can stress easy. Doesn’t take much sometimes if a fish is a little pushy. They also don’t recover good of being pushed around. Hope it eats tomorrow

OP
OP
C

Canaan Gary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can stress easy. Doesn’t take much sometimes if a fish is a little pushy. They also don’t recover good of being pushed around. Hope it eats tomorrow
Being pushed around? Like as in other aggressive fish messing with it?? And yeah me too…is there anything you’d recommend to get it to eat??

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being pushed around? Like as in other aggressive fish messing with it?? And yeah me too…is there anything you’d recommend to get it to eat??
If you can somehow separate the damsel and your wrasse. He knows the threat is still there.

REM2021

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear that, my carpenter is one of my favorite tank residents, so I really hope yours pulls through. If you have an acclimation box on hand and if you have a low-stress way to catch him like a specimen container, not a net, you may want to consider relocating him to the box (or to QT) for observation while he's somewhere easy to catch. Trying to figure out what happened to a wrasse that suddenly goes missing, especially if you have intricate rockwork that you then have to move around, is not a great experience.

OP
OP
C

Canaan Gary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear that, my carpenter is one of my favorite tank residents, so I really hope yours pulls through. If you have an acclimation box on hand and if you have a low-stress way to catch him like a specimen container, not a net, you may want to consider relocating him to the box (or to QT) for observation while he's somewhere easy to catch. Trying to figure out what happened to a wrasse that suddenly goes missing, especially if you have intricate rockwork that you then have to move around, is not a great experience.
I don’t have a QT tank sadly. And yeah I can see where he hides though from the other side of the tank so it should be ok. I’m bringing back my damsel today to reduce stress

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two clowns, a diamond goby, and a blue damsel
The clowns and damsel may be giving him a hard time and these wrasses don’t take lightly to aggression. I think it’s more likely the damsel is giving him the hard rime but you can’t take the clowns out of the picture. These gobies completely ignore other fish so you can take him out of the aggression issue.

OP
OP
C

Canaan Gary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’m bringing back the damsel today. I haven’t seen the clowns mess with him, but maybe they have.
The clowns and damsel may be giving him a hard time and these wrasses don’t take lightly to aggression. I think it’s more likely the damsel is giving him the hard rime but you can’t take the clowns out of the picture. These gobies completely ignore other fish so you can take him out of the aggression issue.

Back