Carpenter Wrasse got attacked last night

GjMakk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did a water change yesterday and everything was cool. I woke up this morning and my wrasse has a chunk out of him. I have a zebra bar dartfish and a citron goby, live rock and corals. I have random clean up crew snails and crabs. The only thing I can think of is emerald crab? He ate a little today but doesn't look very good. Any thoughts?

PXL_20231224_192950188.MP.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It looks like a significant injury/nfection. I would suggest an antibiotic containing hospital tank - but in that condition it's unlikely to survive. Sorry to see.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO - a healthy wrasse should have been able to stay away from issues with those animals. My guess is something else was wrong with the wrasse and it became "moribund" unable to swim and then got picked on by the other animal(s).

That it was still eating is at least a partially good sign. Do you have in isolation tank you can use for it?

Jay

OP
OP
G

GjMakk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a significant injury/nfection. I would suggest an antibiotic containing hospital tank - but in that condition it's unlikely to survive. Sorry to see.
This literally happened overnight. He was fine yesterday, swimming and eating like normal. My other fish are fine. I don't get it. I did have a clown disappear on me about 2 months ago also.

OP
OP
G

GjMakk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO - a healthy wrasse should have been able to stay away from issues with those animals. My guess is something else was wrong with the wrasse and it became "moribund" unable to swim and then got picked on by the other animal(s).

That it was still eating is at least a partially good sign. Do you have in isolation tank you can use for it?

Jay
I don't have an isolation tank. The fish was fine yesterday. My other fish are fine too. I had a clown disappear on me overnight about 2 months ago.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have an isolation tank. The fish was fine yesterday. My other fish are fine too. I had a clown disappear on me overnight about 2 months ago.
A hanging acclimation container or a tank divider could also be used.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back