Carpenter wrasse just vanished?

jake.harry.3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have had my carpenter wrasse for about 4-5ish weeks. He usually is out swimming around during the day, just fine with my 2 clowns and goby/pistol. I took a weekend vacation to indy last weekend and came home to him being completely gone. He isnt in any of the usual hiding spots and 4 of us have searched the tank looking for him. My question is...do they burrow? The top has a cover over it and the only spot it isnt covered is the light bar(which is completely dry). Im so confused.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do not bury in the sand.

If there is ANY escape path in the top of the tank, I'd hedge my bets on that being it's demise. If the head fits, the fish fits.

My only other thought, is if it's a drilled tank with a sump, make sure you check the overflow/sump.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the floor and sump along with pump intakes. As evolved said any tiny hole they can fit though they will find.

OP
OP
J

jake.harry.3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have checked the floor around the tank. The intake of the sump has a cover and the return is only a few inches long and has a check valve. Ill try and check inside that tube again, but i didnt see him in there when i checked.

ca2or

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bet is floor, unless you have a cat that would grab said fish off of floor, or sump. If, which I hope not, it died it could be getting picked apart by your CUC somewhere in the rockwork

OP
OP
J

jake.harry.3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to mark it down as a KIA fish. No signs of jumping, no fish remains on floor or in sump, and ive looked at almost every nook and crevice i could see in the tank. Even went as far as using a camera with a flash to search the tank and watch it in slow mo. Ill take the $30 loss and suck it up.

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a few fish completely vanish before. It's as if they were abducted by aliens.

OP
OP
J

jake.harry.3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay now its starting to worry me. I now cannot find 1 of my 2 clowns. Its only been since 5 last night, but im so confused. Where are they going.

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worst case scenario, but could there be something predatory in your tank? Green brittle star or bobbit worm (yikes)? Perhaps stalk your tank late night with a red light.

Last edited:

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've given up on keeping Carpenters. Sticking with leopards - much easier (and far less neurotic). They either just disappear; or seem hell bent on jumping out of the tank. FWIW, a fish will decompose to almost nothing in a few days. Far more likely than some aquatic boogeyman IMO.

OP
OP
J

jake.harry.3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank mates consists of:
1 yellow watchman goby
1 pistol shrimp
1 carpenter wrasse(MIA)
2 clownfish(1 MIA)
2 cleaner shrimp
And to many snails and shrimp to name.

The wrasse I am chalking up to maybe he went in a hole and the pistol killed him, but the clown im at a loss. I understand that I will lose fish, but when i think lose in the saltwater world i think die or be eaten. Not disappear. My wrasse was a good 2-3 inches long so small, but not completely tiny.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a 4" pyramid butterfly go missing a while back. Never found so much as a bone ...... just sayin'

OP
OP
J

jake.harry.3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats fine. Im gonna take my clown to the local pet store today and swap him out for a mated pair and pay the difference. I like having 2.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 41 26.8%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 33 21.6%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 40 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back