Carpet anemone questions

Sexytang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna be picking up a blue carpet anemone later this week I found a really good deal on one. Can people tell me how they have had success with them and what they Like the most. And do they have to have a lot of Sand

nkusumoto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool and get very big. id try to place in the corner of tank or in between some rocks, turn off the return flow and watch diligently in case it detaches. Would hate to see it get put in a blender.

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna be picking up a blue carpet anemone later this week I found a really good deal on one. Can people tell me how they have had success with them and what they Like the most. And do they have to have a lot of Sand
My success was in large part making sure they were healthy prior to going into my tank.

I always treat my giganteas. No experience with haddonis.

hobbyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a small Haddoni for 2 years. Mine was in a bare-bottom and attached to the bottom glass right up against a rock. For the most part it remained in the exact same place the entire time. It did catch a 5" yellow tang. It's not "if" but "when" something will accidentally swim into it. I've read clown host might help keep other fish away. Unfortunately my clowns would never go near the carpet. I ended up transferring the anemone to my new build and it found my MP40 during the first week. Make sure to keep power heads covered until it settles. I'm also looking to buy a blue carpet. They are awesome creatures.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you are referring to a haddoni? As stated, they will eat fish. I had to move mine to their own tank as I liked my fish. :)
I currently have two haddonis with 4 saddleback clowns. So far so good after 6 months or so. I do recommend sand as it is their natural habitat. 4-6" is ideal. I think mine have only 3 currently. Plan to add a bit in at least one area of the tank.

Saddlebacks can be hard on the nems. I think that is part of why I lost one. I would recommend clarkiis or pink skunks instead. FYI

You may need to treat the nem, so make sure to read the posts on anemone treatments. Very good to have on hand.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/protocol-for-using-antibiotics-to-treat-infected-anemones.758495/

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you are referring to a haddoni? As stated, they will eat fish. I had to move mine to their own tank as I liked my fish. :)
I currently have two haddonis with 4 saddleback clowns. So far so good after 6 months or so. I do recommend sand as it is their natural habitat. 4-6" is ideal. I think mine have only 3 currently. Plan to add a bit in at least one area of the tank.

Saddlebacks can be hard on the nems. I think that is part of why I lost one. I would recommend clarkiis or pink skunks instead. FYI

You may need to treat the nem, so make sure to read the posts on anemone treatments. Very good to have on hand.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/protocol-for-using-antibiotics-to-treat-infected-anemones.758495/

+1 on fairly deep sandbed. When I moved my 2 tanks last year my haddoni appeared to be about 5" across and it was submerged partially under a rock. When I lifted the rock (and it) it was almost 13" across - as large as a standard dinner plate.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back