Carpet Anemone showing flesh at the edges

vinz4u

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi

My carpet nem has some if it's edges kinda chipped or that's what it looks like. Flesh showing as seen in the picture. The pumps are protected with nem guards. So it could not be that. The water params are good. It's in a 75g tank currently. What could be wrong?

Two clowns are hosting and they are doing really well. No other critters in the tank apart from a couple of turbos. I do have bubble algae and a small aiptasia infestation. Have attached multiple images of the nem. It's almost 2 years old and has been generally healthy. Feeding it raw shrimp.

PXL_20230512_202353970.jpg PXL_20230512_202301064.jpg PXL_20230512_202347302.jpg PXL_20230512_202406685.jpg PXL_20230512_202256215.jpg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your anemone looks fine to me.

I dont see any chipped edges with exposed internal flesh showing...

Carpet anemones will open and close so the shape can look oblong and uncircular at times.

OP
OP
V

vinz4u

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your anemone looks fine to me.

I dont see any chipped edges with exposed internal flesh showing...

Carpet anemones will open and close so the shape can look oblong and uncircular at times.
Have added a few more pics below. I can see the white flesh showing without the surface tentacles. Let me know if this is normal.

Attachments

• PXL_20230512_230456930~2.jpg
    PXL_20230512_230456930~2.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 34
  • PXL_20230512_230501912.jpg
    PXL_20230512_230501912.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 34

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've had it for two years, is this a new development? Any other recent changes to the tank? There can be some variation in the density of tentacles on carpets. I wouldn't worry about it unless the carpet shows other signs of distress, like contracting for long periods of time, gaping oral disc, or obvious signs of bacterial infection. Nice specimen by the way - beautiful.

OP
OP
V

vinz4u

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you've had it for two years, is this a new development? Any other recent changes to the tank? There can be some variation in the density of tentacles on carpets. I wouldn't worry about it unless the carpet shows other signs of distress, like contracting for long periods of time, gaping oral disc, or obvious signs of bacterial infection. Nice specimen by the way - beautiful.
Thanks. No other changes in the tank. The clowns are spawning and that's the only thing new. No contractions or any other signs so far. But it did move quite a bit last couple of weeks. But now has settled down. I do see new tentacles forming on those fleshy areas now.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like it may have gotten too close to the powerhead (depending on the nem guard it may have still wiggled through, but just enough to get a "shave"), or heater (if you have one in the tank) or possible chemical burn, if you used Kalk or similar. Regardless, it looks like its healing so it should be fine.

On a somewhat related note, do you have a sand bed? If not, the haddoni may continue to move around the tank and bump into things may cause abrasions.

OP
OP
V

vinz4u

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the insight! I'm not using kalk. Just the regular 2 part additives and only add them after a water change to bring the params back up. This is a bare bottom tank and so that could be a reason it's moving quite a bit. The nem is healed pretty well now. Am planning to move to another tank with a sand bed shortly. So hopefully that should help with the case as you mentioned.
It looks like it may have gotten too close to the powerhead (depending on the nem guard it may have still wiggled through, but just enough to get a "shave"), or heater (if you have one in the tank) or possible chemical burn, if you used Kalk or similar. Regardless, it looks like its healing so it should be fine.

On a somewhat related note, do you have a sand bed? If not, the haddoni may continue to move around the tank and bump into things may cause abrasion

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back