CaRX Pull Q&A Video

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Broadwave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video as always guys!!

I am now at the crossroads to switch from 2-Part dosing to implementing a CaRX on my 200g System. I'm dosing a LOT of 2 part, so makes sense to switch.

Randy made perfect sense on why the pull-through method should be used and yes, I'm sold on getting a Kamoer pump and to use it pull though. However, what I still have questions on it if that pump is strong enough to actually pull the water from my sump, through the reactor and then drip back into my sump? Do I still need to use a feed pump? Should the reactor be 'primed' first with water Before turning on the Kamoer? Does the reactor need to physically sit in my sump for this or can it sit outside above the sump? If sitting outside and above the sump, will the CaRX drain every time the power goes out needed to be re-primed?

If you can provide some clarification on how the water will enter the reactor and if there are any gotchas with using this method?

Thanks!

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Feed pump - no need if you use peristaltic pump. Yep it should be powerful enough, there's actually not much power required, other then pushing water through of tubbing/needle valve get clogged with particles.

No need to keep it in the sump. Mine is on the floor next to the tank. If it's on the same level as the sump it won't ever drain.

Priming will make it a little easier to fill as peristaltic pump will take a while.

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video as always guys!!
I am now at the crossroads to switch from 2-Part dosing to implementing a CaRX on my 200g System. I'm dosing a LOT of 2 part, so makes sense to switch.
Randy made perfect sense on why the pull-through method should be used and yes, I'm sold on getting a Kamoer pump and to use it pull though. However, what I still have questions on it if that pump is strong enough to actually pull the water from my sump, through the reactor and then drip back into my sump? Do I still need to use a feed pump? Should the reactor be 'primed' first with water Before turning on the Kamoer? Does the reactor need to physically sit in my sump for this or can it sit outside above the sump? If sitting outside and above the sump, will the CaRX drain every time the power goes out needed to be re-primed?
If you can provide some clarification on how the water will enter the reactor and if there are any gotchas with using this method?
Thanks!

I agree with @Reefer1978 on all points. You don't need to use a separate pump to feed the reactor as the peristaltic pump is more than capable, given that you have it within a reasonable distance from the sump to the reactor and back. It would likely have a hard time if you were 5' or more away from the tank, or 5'+ above the tank.

If you want to save yourself a ton of time I'd recommend priming the reactor with saltwater. That will just get you going much faster.

Depending on the CaRx you go with, I'd guess that most reefers install the reactor outside the sump. This is the same I did on my personal build with one of my R2R accounts (RandomReefer).

Lastly, the easiest way for me to understand how pulling through the reactor works is to think about sucking through a straw. Basically, the end of the straw is in the sump and the peristaltic pump is your mouth. The only difference here is that in between the straw, there's a calcium reactor. :p

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back