OP
Magellan

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's doing alright. My colors are a bit off when looking through front glass. My acros are not as good as I hoped. But enough about my tank in your post lol. Your tank looks really good. Do you dose or just water changes? What lights ya running?
I dose 2 part every night by hand, and do 5g water changes every 10-14 days. I also feed the corals 2-3x a day (for the Goni, but the rest of the tank appreciates that as well!). I was dosing Fuel, but I stopped a few weeks ago. I think I’m going to try the Red Sea amino acids, gotta go to the LFS tomorrow lol

My light is really old school. 150w metal halide with a magnetic ballast, it’s absolutely ancient but my corals love it. There’s some supplemental blue LEDs in the corners of the hood but they don’t really do much.

OP
OP
Magellan

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best thing about reef roids: fish and shrimp go crazy over the smell but can’t find the food!!!
I had to stop target feeding roids, my cleaner shrimp absolutely loses his mind for the stuff. He would attack the syringe, and any coral I squirted the roids on. But if I broadcast he can’t find the source, and my corals actually get to eat! Oyster feast gets a similar reaction, only a more pronounced feeding response from corals like my Goni and acan. I took all these pics in order immediately after feeding. (Last pic is about 30 minutes later after it started to calm back down!)
3C4AB18C-296C-463C-B4BE-5578E7867EB4.jpeg
881BAAE9-A1F1-4C7F-86EA-74CF0E1B9FE4.jpeg
770D553B-5729-45D6-8117-FB430A193997.jpeg
258E68BA-7375-4872-91B0-FC5887933ECB.jpeg
C02370B3-DAFF-485C-81BC-D0103710C268.jpeg

OP
OP
Magellan

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw this. Nice build thread. Nice tank. I’m surprised to have MH on that. I’m so jelly.
Thanks!! I got so lucky to get this as my first tank. They just don’t make them like they used to! It’s still got the old magnetic ballast and everything, all I’ve done is upgrade to a modern bulb and put an ATO on it.

Last edited:

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!! I got so lucky to get this as my first tank. They just don’t make them like they used to! It’s still the old magnetic ballast and everything, all I’ve done is upgrade to a modern bulb and put an ATO on it.
I saw you have a fan. No chiller on it? Where I live, it gets hot in the summer. Even with AC on, I need to have the chiller running.

OP
OP
Magellan

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw you have a fan. No chiller on it? Where I live, it gets hot in the summer. Even with AC on, I need to have the chiller running.
in the summer I was putting 2-3 ice bottles a day in there to keep it cool, that got tiresome so I hung the fan on the wall. no problems keeping it under 79 now :)

but yea it gets pretty hot here! I like my ac though lol

OP
OP
Magellan

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do your kenya trees do in the sand.. I mean they seem like they are doing fine and growing but do they seem stable or do they tip over?
They are attached to a large shell that is buried in the sand, I haven’t had any issues. The ones that get less light won’t always be as extended and happy as the ones I glued to the rock in the back, but mostly it’s a kenya forest at this point! It’s out competing my GSP if that tells you anything...I was originally worried the GSP would kill the leather, but if anything it might be the other way around.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How do your kenya trees do in the sand.. I mean they seem like they are doing fine and growing but do they seem stable or do they tip over?
hi they will attatch to the bottom of tank slump when closed, open like treeswhen open

OP
OP
Magellan

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi they will attatch to the bottom of tank slump when closed, open like treeswhen open
I feel like it is fantastic nutrient control at this point, it grows so fast. Just have to watch out for the sheds...that thing would take over the tank in a couple months if I let it.

OP
OP
Magellan

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank update:

started dosing Red Sea A+B today. I dosed Fuel for the first year, going to fix what’s not broke and try something new :)

Also added 5 new nassarius snails to help turn over the additional sand I added a few days ago. (New total = 7) Hadn’t put any more sand in there in a year, and in spite of my best efforts a little bit gets removed every time I do a water change.

OP
OP
Magellan

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you making a change?
I was out of Fuel, and @Hemmdog said he had previously used Fuel and switched to Red Sea and liked it more. Saw immediate results (positive ones!) and my hydnophora didn’t get irritated when I dosed like it always would from Fuel.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was out of Fuel, and @Hemmdog said he had previously used Fuel and switched to Red Sea and liked it more. Saw immediate results (positive ones!) and my hydnophora didn’t get irritated when I dosed like it always would from Fuel.

Ahhhh, makes sense. If my brain is working correctly, which is always questionable, I remember when Chris switched to Red Sea.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back