Catalina Goby/Native Tank

Michelada Palooza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a species specific, Catalina Goby, tank about 2 months ago. It's a 14gal Coralife that I customized a bit for a zoa tank, but decided to try a cool water tank.

I was using Cheato for macro in it, but I think the temp is too low (69-72°) and it dies off, producing cyano outbreaks. I've gathered some specimens of macro locally (pictured) to help with the bio load of feeding frozen/live food 2-3× a day.
Edit-Macro from left to right:
Some sort of red/brown Gracilaria
Bull Kelp
Ulva
Seagrass (I'll update w/species)

I've also found that some snails do not like the colder temps. I'm using only margaritas, a nessarius, & a peppermint shrimp for clean-up. I need more than the 4 margaritas & looking to get an abalone, so this tank stays true to SoCal livestock (& get rid of the peppermint shrimp & nessarius)

16891104534962893666959501313402.jpg 16891105210276656100143491671078.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Michelada Palooza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Abalone are awesome! I have a huge sucker in my tank.
I had a green in my old 212gal tank about 15 yrs ago. Kept it so clean, I had to add caulerpia so it didn't starve. It also spawned hundreds that I gave to friends/LFS.

Might hit the tide pools this week to find one. We have green, black, red, & pink abalone here

OP
OP
M

Michelada Palooza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huntington Beach Ca? whats your plan on keeping temps down>
I live next to the beach so it's never really over 80°, but I keep it in a room that stays under 75° w/ the need of occasional a/c (at night it gets to under 70° in that room to help maintaining 69-72°, w/most morning waking to the heater) . So far this year, it has only got to 75° once. Might need to top off w/ ice in August.....

OP
OP
M

Michelada Palooza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just set up w/the macros.

Had a huge scare as one of the gobies almost perished in the reset/water change. He was in the old water & I almost dumped him out on the patio. Very difficult to pick up a 1" fish w/o killing it. Took 30 minutes to recover & it's taking food an hour later

OP
OP
M

Michelada Palooza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome biotope! You might want to look into a chiller eventually the swings in temp cant be good long term, also natives are red moon snails, theyre great algae eaters for colder tanks. Best looking snails ever!
Thanks! I'll look into getting those snails and an abalone. I may find some in the tide pools this week.

For a chiller, I agree. There will be about a week or 2 here where it will be over 80° & maintaining temperatures under 72° will be impossible. It's only 10gal total in water too, so the changes are quick.

EDIT‐ Looking at this chiller: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/iceprobe-thermoelectric-aquarium-chiller-nova-tec.html

It can sit on top the return or intake section of the AOI filter area. Not keen to drilling my tank for it

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Michelada Palooza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This didn't work out well. Changed it to a Jawfish tank. Its been running, rock & CUC only for 4 months. Added some zoos & the fish are coming this month. Making a new thread to show this progress

Attachments

• 20240109_171204.jpg
    20240109_171204.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 18

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back