Catalina goby white spots.

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I've had this guy in the tank for about 7 months now. Always eats like a pig but recently noticed some white spots on fins and body. Doesn't really look like ich to me. The tank recently went through a treatment of ciprofloxacin for BJD with resolution of the BJD.

I have been reading this fish is more cold water and keeping him in warmer water can cause problems with his immune system. I keep my tank at 77 degrees with a chiller and heater. Stable all week and gets up to 78.5 on weekends.

Is this a symptom of his weakened immune system? All my other fish are healthy. Doesn't appear to be brook or ick to me.
Fish is still acting normal and eating like a champ.
20210728_124104.jpg
20210728_123938.jpg

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. I don't know what that is, but that's something I would try to deal with in a hospital tank. I would see if you could get it in a tank in the low 70s.

Fungus in SW fish is pretty rare, but that could be what we're dealing with. I agree that it doesn't really look like a standard case of ich or velvet or brook.

Just in case he hasn't seen this, @Jay Hemdal

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw something similar on my shark nose goby before it died, its fins had gotten very cottony like this:
1627507167774.jpeg

Other idea could be lympocytosis on yours, the location and size of the spots is possible. It usually happens after stress.
From what I know, these gobies need cooler water, the heat may have to do with it?

OP
OP
G

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. I don't know what that is, but that's something I would try to deal with in a hospital tank. I would see if you could get it in a tank in the low 70s.

Fungus in SW fish is pretty rare, but that could be what we're dealing with. I agree that it doesn't really look like a standard case of ich or velvet or brook.

Just in case he hasn't seen this, @Jay Hemdal
Yeah possible fungus. I have access to meds but catching him will be extremely difficult as he hides in the largest rock in my aquarium

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I've had this guy in the tank for about 7 months now. Always eats like a pig but recently noticed some white spots on fins and body. Doesn't really look like ich to me. The tank recently went through a treatment of ciprofloxacin for BJD with resolution of the BJD.

I have been reading this fish is more cold water and keeping him in warmer water can cause problems with his immune system. I keep my tank at 77 degrees with a chiller and heater. Stable all week and gets up to 78.5 on weekends.

Is this a symptom of his weakened immune system? All my other fish are healthy. Doesn't appear to be brook or ick to me.
Fish is still acting normal and eating like a champ.
20210728_124104.jpg
20210728_123938.jpg
Yes - Catalina gobies do best at around 65 F. Their lifespans very much shortened at higher temperatures. It could be ich - I've been fooled by this before, the spots look a heck of a lot larger on small fish!

This could be "idiopathic mucus plugs" - some fish, notably tangs, will develop these extruded plugs of skin mucus due to some stressor - could be the heat, could be the cipro. Here is an article I wrote that discusses fish mucus:
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/mucus-the-slime-that-binds.793/

I think these could also be xenomas (cysts) from a microsporidian infection. There is however, no treatment for that. Fish can live with it for some time.

Jay

OP
OP
G

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - Catalina gobies do best at around 65 F. Their lifespans very much shortened at higher temperatures. It could be ich - I've been fooled by this before, the spots look a heck of a lot larger on small fish!

This could be "idiopathic mucus plugs" - some fish, notably tangs, will develop these extruded plugs of skin mucus due to some stressor - could be the heat, could be the cipro. Here is an article I wrote that discusses fish mucus:
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/mucus-the-slime-that-binds.793/

I think these could also be xenomas (cysts) from a microsporidian infection. There is however, no treatment for that. Fish can live with it for some time.

Jay
Thanks a bunch for the detailed reply. These spots look more fuzzy and not discreet like I've seen with prior ich infestations. Hopefully just stressed from the cipro. Will continue to monitor him. He's acting 100% normal eats a bunch.

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a bunch for the detailed reply. These spots look more fuzzy and not discreet like I've seen with prior ich infestations. Hopefully just stressed from the cipro. Will continue to monitor him. He's acting 100% normal eats a bunch.
If you do try to catch him, go slowly, and then when he at the right spot, scoop him up fast.

OP
OP
G

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do try to catch him, go slowly, and then when he at the right spot, scoop him up fast.
I tried... several attempts yesterday... did not win. Probably just stressed him out more. Still eating like a champ though. Hopefully he will pull through.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gobies are my favourite fish!! I always get so sad to see gobies that are ill. So very glad yours worked out in a positive way!! :)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all have an awesome update for everyone. So after the weekend I came back to work to see my gobi all healed up. No signs of white spots at all! Leads me to think either A. bacterial which the cipro finally cured or B. Mucous plugs.

20210803_093058.jpg
Good deal - that rules out xenomas....

Jay

OP
OP
G

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all just wanted to say that I've had this Catalina Goby for about a year and 3 months now still going strong! Tank water tamp is kept around 76.5 degrees. From what I've learned about the white spots he has them in the mornings some times but they are almost all gone by night time. I'm thinking mucous plugs. Have seen them periodically on him and they do dissapear not sure what else they could be at this point.
Screenshot_20220306-095615_Gallery.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all just wanted to say that I've had this Catalina Goby for about a year and 3 months now still going strong! Tank water tamp is kept around 76.5 degrees. From what I've learned about the white spots he has them in the mornings some times but they are almost all gone by night time. I'm thinking mucous plugs. Have seen them periodically on him and they do dissapear not sure what else they could be at this point.
I would try get your Catalina into water if Atleast 70 degrees if not 65 degrees. These fish don’t last long in warm water and really need Atleast 65 degrees to thrive in. If possible try get a Cold water species only tank set up then you’ll have this guy for the whole life span.

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try get your Catalina into water if Atleast 70 degrees if not 65 degrees. These fish don’t last long in warm water and really need Atleast 65 degrees to thrive in. If possible try get a Cold water species only tank set up then you’ll have this guy for the whole life span.
i agree with this

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be sand/detritus sticking to its mucus?
I agree with the others that these live longer at lower temperatures, but of course your other tank inhabitants might not appreciate that.
There have been some Catalina’s that were captive bred. Rumor has it they have higher temperature tolerances, but I can’t verify that.
Jay

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do they live? I've had my captive-bred specimen for a year now, in an Evo that runs at 21-22C in a climate-controlled office (no heater).

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do they live? I've had my captive-bred specimen for a year now, in an Evo that runs at 21-22C in a climate-controlled office (no heater).
They tend to live 2 years which is the average lifespan for many of the smaller gobies.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back