Catshark Breeding?

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello, not sure if anyone can help but figured I'd ask. I have a 18"-20" male Coral Catshark that is nearly 2 years old, he is housed with 2 female catsharks a bit smaller than him, but they are also the same age. I've noticed the claspers on the male are pink, I'm optimistic that they will breed and hoping this is a sign that he is ready to breed. Thanks for any help.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, not sure if anyone can help but figured I'd ask. I have a 18"-20" male Coral Catshark that is nearly 2 years old, he is housed with 2 female catsharks a bit smaller than him, but they are also the same age. I've noticed the claspers on the male are pink, I'm optimistic that they will breed and hoping this is a sign that he is ready to breed. Thanks for any help.
I'm afraid I don't know the specific behind rearing the young (you might be able to get this info by sending an email to the Cologne Zoo, but otherwise that info's behind a paywall), but they say:

"The keeping and breeding of coral catsharks can be classified as uncomplicated, given that sufficient swimming space and hiding places are provided."
(Quoted from the Science Direct link below.)

I do, however, have some info that may be helpful for gauging sexual maturity in your sharks:
Female length at maturity - ~440-570mm
Male length at maturity - ~400mm-620mm
Clasper length at maturity - ~43-69mm
(Claspers should be fully calcified in mature males.)

Maturity info source:

Paywall info options (including quote link):

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 163 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back