Catshark Breeding?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Aspect
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 8, 2022
Messages
1,578
Reaction score
846
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello, not sure if anyone can help but figured I'd ask. I have a 18"-20" male Coral Catshark that is nearly 2 years old, he is housed with 2 female catsharks a bit smaller than him, but they are also the same age. I've noticed the claspers on the male are pink, I'm optimistic that they will breed and hoping this is a sign that he is ready to breed. Thanks for any help.
 
Hello, not sure if anyone can help but figured I'd ask. I have a 18"-20" male Coral Catshark that is nearly 2 years old, he is housed with 2 female catsharks a bit smaller than him, but they are also the same age. I've noticed the claspers on the male are pink, I'm optimistic that they will breed and hoping this is a sign that he is ready to breed. Thanks for any help.
I'm afraid I don't know the specific behind rearing the young (you might be able to get this info by sending an email to the Cologne Zoo, but otherwise that info's behind a paywall), but they say:

"The keeping and breeding of coral catsharks can be classified as uncomplicated, given that sufficient swimming space and hiding places are provided."
(Quoted from the Science Direct link below.)

I do, however, have some info that may be helpful for gauging sexual maturity in your sharks:
Female length at maturity - ~440-570mm
Male length at maturity - ~400mm-620mm
Clasper length at maturity - ~43-69mm
(Claspers should be fully calcified in mature males.)

Maturity info source:
https://www.researchgate.net/public...mous_Bennett_1830_in_Seribu_Islands_Indonesia
Paywall info options (including quote link):
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S004451691000081Xhttps://eurekamag.com/research/036/554/036554836.php
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new