Cauliflower like growth on Dotty back, Anthias death

Pelagikos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a week ago my Orchid Dottie back started showing some white spots I assumed were #flukes.
I can't get pictures because he's so crazy and all over the place. I've had an Anthias for a year now... a couple of days after the Dottie back started showing symptoms the Anthias stopped eating and dropped to the bottom, did not move much.
Last night at dinner I observed my cleanup crew trying to eat the Anthias alive, so I decided to euthanize.
This morning when I woke up I saw these spots on the Anthias that were not present during it's last days.
Can anyone help me figure out what these are? I have dosed one round of prazipro. @jayhemdal @anyone?

20220825_002819.jpg 20220825_002844.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
About a week ago my Orchid Dottie back started showing some white spots I assumed were #flukes.
I can't get pictures because he's so crazy and all over the place. I've had an Anthias for a year now... a couple of days after the Dottie back started showing symptoms the Anthias stopped eating and dropped to the bottom, did not move much.
Last night at dinner I observed my cleanup crew trying to eat the Anthias alive, so I decided to euthanize.
This morning when I woke up I saw these spots on the Anthias that were not present during it's last days.
Can anyone help me figure out what these are? I have dosed one round of prazipro. @jayhemdal @anyone?

Looks like lymphocystis which is viral and often triggered by poor water quality and diet
Cauliflower is similar but often affects large angels and butterflies
What is current ammonia- nitrate- ph- salinity?
What test kits are you using?

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Flukes are typically not visible on fish. You can see the secondary damage that they do to the skin, but the flukes themselves and small and don't show up.

It wasn't clear to me, is the dottyback still alive?
I presume the damage on the anthias dorsal fin is from the clean up crew?
When was the last time you added a new fish to the tank?
What other fish are in the tank?

Are you talking about the bright white spots at the start of the dorsal fin and then one mid-way down? I can't say what that is, but their limited area makes it unlikely that they were the cause of death. They are not Lymphocystis, and if they were, they wouldn't have caused the fish's death.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Pelagikos

Pelagikos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like lymphocystis which is viral and often triggered by poor water quality and diet
Cauliflower is similar but often affects large angels and butterflies
What is current ammonia- nitrate- ph- salinity?
What test kits are you using?
NH3-0
NO3-25 (even with wc, chaeto and nopox)
PH+8.1
SALINITY- 1.025
Using Salifert for PH and Ammo Hanna for all other parameters
Just did a 15 gallon water change last weekend, 50 gallon aquarium with approximately 45 gallons of water.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Pelagikos

Pelagikos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flukes are typically not visible on fish. You can see the secondary damage that they do to the skin, but the flukes themselves and small and don't show up.

It wasn't clear to me, is the dottyback still alive?
I presume the damage on the anthias dorsal fin is from the clean up crew?
When was the last time you added a new fish to the tank?

Are you talking about the bright white spots at the start of the dorsal fin and then one mid-way down? I can't say what that is, but their limited area makes it unlikely that they were the cause of death. They are not Lymphocystis, and if they were, they wouldn't have caused the fish's death.

Jay
dottyback still alive? Yes

I presume the damage on the anthias dorsal fin is from the clean up crew? Yes :(

When was the last time you added a new fish to the tank? A Tomini Tang about 2 months ago. After 3 week quarantine.

4 Chromis, 1 Damsel, 2 Clowns, Tomini and 1 Court Jester goby.
Also 1 Scarlet Skunk shrimp.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
NH3-0
NO3-25 (even with wc, chaeto and nopox)
PH+8.1
SALINITY- 1.025
Using Salifert for PH and Ammo Hanna for all other parameters
Just did a 15 gallon water change last weekend, 50 gallon aquarium with approximately 45 gallons of water.
Other than nitrate elevated , would likely not have caused this. Did fish have previous injury that may have developed fungus?

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dottyback still alive? Yes

I presume the damage on the anthias dorsal fin is from the clean up crew? Yes :(

When was the last time you added a new fish to the tank? A Tomini Tang about 2 months ago. After 3 week quarantine.

4 Chromis, 1 Damsel, 2 Clowns, Tomini and 1 Court Jester goby.
Also 1 Scarlet Skunk shrimp.

Depending on how your quarantined, the tomini could have brought something in. However, the basic truth is - if a fish brings a disease into a tank, they are USUALLY one of the first to show symptoms, with the existing fish showing issues later on.

If none of the other fish are showing symptoms, I would just watch the dots on the dottyback and be prepared that if they increase in numbers, to have a treatment tank ready.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Pelagikos

Pelagikos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than nitrate elevated , would likely not have caused this. Did fish have previous injury that may have developed fungus?
From what I understand because Dottybacks like to dart in and out of rocks that is quite likely. There may have been a scratch that went unnoticed.
There are also some small spots at the top of her head.
I'm going to try my best to get some photos to post.
As far as the Anthias, there were no signs of anything.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Pelagikos

Pelagikos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on how your quarantined, the tomini could have brought something in. However, the basic truth is - if a fish brings a disease into a tank, they are USUALLY one of the first to show symptoms, with the existing fish showing issues later on.

If none of the other fish are showing symptoms, I would just watch the dots on the dottyback and be prepared that if they increase in numbers, to have a treatment tank ready.

Jay
Agreed! Thank you for your help Jay

Upvote 0

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back