Cave Tank Build Tutorial

MichelleRay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks really cool! The technique is similar to when I built some fake rocks for use in a reptile tank. It sure makes for an amazing cave tank! If I have the time I would love to try this out. Thanks for sharing!

FartyParty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it became a tank for a really mean cichlid that couldn't be housed with anything else.

So, this literally became a dark cave prison for a killer fish? Lol!

This reminds me of the foam cave backdrops they used to sell in the late 80s and early 90s for standard 10 and 20 gallon sizes. i would like to see those come back, but i have no idea how those held up in a nano reef type tank.

OP
OP
Kayotic5011

Kayotic5011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whoa... where can I learn more about the tank with tides? SUCH a great idea.
I will link the thread I started for that when I get home from work today. Its deff something that will bring us amazing info on how are fish and corals perceive the world around them and how gravity effects them with and without the adition of the tides....thank you for showing your intrest, the more people who join that topic the better it will be and the more we can gather for info

OP
OP
Kayotic5011

Kayotic5011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whoa... where can I learn more about the tank with tides? SUCH a great idea.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/simulations.358958/ theres the link to the thread I posted about the Tide Simulations. This will be a monster build so it will come after this one and some more careful planing and convo about the subject. Please feel free to join that convo as I would love to hear your thoughts on the subject.

OP
OP
Kayotic5011

Kayotic5011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, this literally became a dark cave prison for a killer fish? Lol!

This reminds me of the foam cave backdrops they used to sell in the late 80s and early 90s for standard 10 and 20 gallon sizes. i would like to see those come back, but i have no idea how those held up in a nano reef type tank.
I actually started doing this by just creating incerts for 10 and 20 gal then I looked and went oooooo! and its just grown in Ideas since.

Would be cool to come up with a way to be able to replace the airstones or LEDs without having to pull the bottom out.
If you look at the bottom piece of foam where I put the airstones you will see that the whole is completely cut through, I did this so when glued down it left the hole open to the under side of the tank...so to put your lights you can just shine them up through the bottom from the underside of the tank and they would come up through the spouts. I did have them like that at one time with a blue light.

This is awesome!!! I love seeing some creativity in tank design. My wheels are turning.
Absolutly, this is why I share these ideas...Ive gotten some ideas from others and I wanted to do my part in passing on some.
Caveman like Cave Tank!
hahaha, word

OP
OP
Kayotic5011

Kayotic5011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you very much.....Well ive got the 40gal for this new tank outside already and ive got most the fixins for it lol...I had to use that word "fixins"...just too funny....anyway ive got just about everything I need, ill just have to order that block of foam...which I found out is only 66 buck to buy but 88 to ship...what the heck is that nonsense, dang sclappers....but you guys and the tank are worth the buy and build so im doing it anyway. I'll probably ordering this block sometime next week as im hoping to run into a place down town who might have the foam block I seek for less.....but it wont be to long I hope, Im having trouble sleeping at night because of the ideas im going over....i'm starting to dream about it lol.

OP
OP
Kayotic5011

Kayotic5011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate reading things that make me think, always ends up expensive! ;)
Got a 45 tall that has been sitting empty for a while ... !?
Love this, great work, can't wait to see "take 2"! :)
I know the feeling all to well lol.....and heck yea man, a 45 tall is awesome, you could so make a sunken ship scene....you can use this same concept to make it......Like the bow of a old war era war ship with a cannon....oh the ideas on a constant love aquariums.

Your compliment is very much appreciated as well thank you.

OP
OP
Kayotic5011

Kayotic5011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came home from work early today, so I decided to go on a styrofoam hunt....Why is this crap so hard to find when you want to put it to good use?? Go to a landfill there's tons of the stuff....you try to buy a large block to carve you have to order it special it appears like, I guess they have to go retrieve it from the landfill...or at least the should be imo....anyway I know there has got to be some where that sells this stuff or has some its giving away.....Ive got a few more places I want to try before I order it though...everyone keep your fingers crossed for me so we can get this build on lol.

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came home from work early today, so I decided to go on a styrofoam hunt....Why is this crap so hard to find when you want to put it to good use?? Go to a landfill there's tons of the stuff....you try to buy a large block to carve you have to order it special it appears like, I guess they have to go retrieve it from the landfill...or at least the should be imo....anyway I know there has got to be some where that sells this stuff or has some its giving away.....Ive got a few more places I want to try before I order it though...everyone keep your fingers crossed for me so we can get this build on lol.
yea it is hard to find sometimes, especially the more dense higher quality stuff...good luck in your hunt

OP
OP
Kayotic5011

Kayotic5011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I went to home depot to grab some pvc for the overflow im going to build into this tank and while there I decided to pick up something and go a route I didnt ever want to go again....greatstuff...ugh I hate this crap, but it does the job and will be the same as Styrofoam but ill have more control over it. Last time I used this I got my hands covered in this crap and it took over a week to get off and it was painful....so I swore off that crap for good....until now. I figured with knowing what I know about the stuff I can be a little smarter about it, plus it will work for the idea I have anyway, not to mention I can mold and carve as I go instead of digging it out of a block...but we will see, I might regret this again lol.

with that said here comes some sad news, while cleaning out the 40 gallon I was going to use I accidentally hit it on the side of my trucks front bumper and broke it is could places lol.....few-we, guess Ill have to buy another one but the worst part about this is petco dollar a gallon sale doesnt kick off this month until the 18th so we got 10 days or so until I get a new tank. This isnt all bad though because petco changed there dollar a gallon sale thingy to where it applies to tanks up to 29 gal i think and anything like a 40 breeder 55gallon or 75 gallon are half off....well I just went to there a moment ago and asked about when the sale happens, and while in the process of that I noticed they actually had a 75 gallon there with the rest of the tanks getting ready for that sale....soooo I might just be doing this in a 75 instead of a 40. I guess that just depends on if I get to it first lol. anyway when I start on this tank I'll link the new thread to this one and we will be on our way.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 22 61.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.6%
Back