Cbb and flasher wrasse in qt

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome! It looks like it's still there though, so you might want to extend the treatment just a bit longer than 10 days. Since it's showing improvement anyway.
+1
I just ran the same treatment for 14 days for my rhomboid. He responded very well.

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think so? Im not convinced I'm actually treating anything at the moment so much as prophylactically avoiding that wound becoming infected, which I now think has been avoided. I think the wrasse is reacting badly to the antibiotics, but this is all just my take on it with very little experience. I actually thought if the wound is closed it might be time to stop antibiotics.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely wouldn't stop before the 10 days, can the wrasse be moved to another QT?

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'll do at least the next dose. Especially because I'm not totally convinced the wound is closed yet. I am a reliable heater and a power filter away from having another qt setup, I'll see how he's doing tomorrow and decide, in principle just one more dose to go for him

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5/20/2017 - Day 1 - Kanaplex, metroplex, bifuran
5/21/2017 - Day 2 - 25% water change redose changed water with kan/metro/bifuran
5/22/2017 - Day 3 - Redose all 20g with kan/metro/bifuran
5/24/2017 - Day 5 - 25% water change, redose kan/metro/bifuran
5/26/2017 - Day 7 - 50% water change, redose kan/metro/bifuran
5/28/2017 - Day 9 - 25% water change, redose kan/metro/bifuran

Ok done with scheduled treatment. Here's a video of both of them. Does the wrasse look healthy to you guys? I just worry there's something off about him that I can't put my finger on... I feel like his mouth is never closed, maybe it's always that way. Regardless I think the butterfly is healed (though there's still a slight bump and miscoloration there) and I think the wrasse is fat enough that two days more days isn't going to put him in danger

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's breathing a bit quickly, but other than that he just looks freaked out by you being there videoing him. The fast breathing could be attributed to the freaked out state.

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For posterity, also an updated picture of the butterfly. It seems to change coloration a little red sometimes, white sometimes, maybe it's just the changing light. Anyways, I think I feel comfortable making this the last dose of antibiotics.

IMG_20170528_230516.jpg

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys think about this? Today is day 11. A dose would be due. Is the butterfly good or should I keep going? I've got a 10 g tank warmed up for the wrasse if I need to keep dosing, otherwise I'll use it for water changes.

20170530202039_IMG_3038.JPG

20170530202049_IMG_3039.JPG

20170530202139_IMG_3044.JPG

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm officially very worried about the flasher. He was laying in a corner this morning breathing heavy still. Sometimes this is just a morning thing, when I come down he's usually sleeping somewhere, sometimes it's not very well hidden. However, something just looks a little off about his head like his mouth doesn't close all the way, not sure if that's normal. Also he's really not eating anymore.

Otherwise I can't figure out what's wrong. I did a 50% water change last night and didn't redose antibiotics. I have an aquaclear 700 and both lines of an air pump meant for 60 gallon tanks providing oxygen. He's gone through prazi and three days of the big three antibiotics. I've never seen him jump so I don't think it is damage from a collision with the lid (I don't think anyways). His tank mate seems perfectly healthy and happy.

Totally stumped.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The butterfly looks pretty darn good. It's possible the wrasse is having a hard time with the meds.... then again, I cant' remember what all has been done for these fish so it's also just as likely he has something in his gills preventing proper breathing.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a picture or video of the flasher? Are his gills red at all? Are you using copper at this point?

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meds have gone prazi, two doses 6 days apart, then I think 4 days off meds, then kan/metro/bifuran for 5 doses 48 hours apart. Did a 50% water change last night 48 hours after the last dose. I would definitely agree that he started going down hill when the antibiotics started, before that he was eating fine, he was shy but would come out for food. He's still swimming around but just looks off and is breathing heavy.

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video above shows him (the butterfly gets in the way a good deal because he thinks worms are coming). That's pretty much still what he looks like.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could see how he does if/when transferred to a completely non-medicated tank. This would help determine if it's the meds or something else.

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had considered that. I thought by this point basically all of the antibiotics would be degraded and then further diluted by my 50% water change. Maybe I should do another tonight. I avoided putting him in a new tank because I don't trust a single heater I own to keep a good temperature without an external controller (and I don't have another controller). I figured he was safer in the 20g now that treatment is over.

But overall I think that's right, the meds are messing with him. I definitely will do another 50g change tonight... now that I think about it.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had considered that. I thought by this point basically all of the antibiotics would be degraded and then further diluted by my 50% water change. Maybe I should do another tonight. I avoided putting him in a new tank because I don't trust a single heater I own to keep a good temperature without an external controller (and I don't have another controller). I figured he was safer in the 20g now that treatment is over.

There's a point. So, if all meds are removed from the tank (although they aren't technically gone, they just aren't active anymore) and he's still having issues, then it starts to point to something you haven't treated for yet. Ich, velvet would be top of the list.

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had considered starting copper, but he's so lethargic with no external spots or signs of ich. Also part of me just worries that he's simply reacting to meds in general, he got kind of less happy on prazi days too. So I'm worried about starting yet another course instead of waiting to see if he gets better. Not sure what is best. I was really hoping this morning he'd be 100%.

He came from my LFS's invert system so I'm guessing no copper at least for the time he was there. I could start ramping up though.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had considered starting copper, but he's so lethargic with no external spots or signs of ich. Also part of me just worries that he's simply reacting to meds in general, he got kind of less happy on prazi days too. So I'm worried about starting yet another course instead of waiting to see if he gets better. Not sure what is best. I was really hoping this morning he'd be 100%.

He came from my LFS's invert system so I'm guessing no copper at least for the time he was there. I could start ramping up though.

You could try a freshwater dip to help with the breathing issue. If it were me, I'd start there to buy some time, then start ramping up copper.

OP
OP
A

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any issues with copper and the (maybe still a little) open sore on the butterfly? For some reason I feel like I remember it can be a problem.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 59 55.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.5%
Back