CBB breathing heavy in QT

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an orange shoulder tang die earlier this week after I noticed him breathing heavy. Now the CBB in the same tank is breathing heavy as well. The tank is on day 3 of 2.0ppm copper power and I’m dosing metro also.

Could it be gill flukes? Should I FW dip him?

I haven’t been able to get him to eat either. Tried live clams, mysis, all the usual stuff.

Ammonia reads zero but I did a 10G water change this morning and also a 30 minute bath in methylene blue. There’s a small sailfin in the tank also and he looks/eats/acts fine.

I’m not sure what to try next.

Any ideas?

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a pic of my setup. Notice insane air stone in the left corner. I’d have to inject O2 to get any more oxygen in here.

EB069960-D950-45C4-81D1-807E9599F5A0.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like the CBB’s pectoral fin is a little cloudy, or is that just the photo?
A FW dip might help identify flukes, but the CBB not eating is a problem as you might imagine....a lot of these come in and just never start feeding.
Jay

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like the CBB’s pectoral fin is a little cloudy, or is that just the photo?
A FW dip might help identify flukes, but the CBB not eating is a problem as you might imagine....a lot of these come in and just never start feeding.
Jay

He’s lying in his side now just like the orange shoulder. He won’t make it but I tried a FW dip just to see if anything came out. I see something in the bucket but it’s tiny and I don’t know if this is just sediment in the water.

His fins don’t seem cloudy but it’s hard to tell. I see a single white spot on one fin. I think it has to be velvet? What else could it be? I can’t seem to match symptoms to anything.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also @Jay Hemdal if it is velvet is there anything I can do to proactively give the remaining sailfin a chance to survive? He seems perfectly healthy at the moment but whatever this is seems to kill in 24-48 hours once the heavy breathing starts.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He died as I was replying. I immediately removed him and inspected and photographed. I see no dots or any indication of illness, to my untrained eye. He looks perfectly fine externally. Eyes and fins clear, no spots, dust, lesions.

Im totally stumped! Hope I can save the sailfin but I don’t feel like I’m his best hope for survival right now.

These pics are within a couple minutes of death. The room light reflection and flash is unfortunate, but I see no dots even with magnification. Am I missing something?

A35F463C-AA92-42F2-BAC1-4C965A2843ED.jpeg
3959CA5F-A6F7-47D9-B70D-857C080A1266.jpeg
77361FAF-3725-46CB-8ADD-D78209841E55.jpeg
B4F06955-713E-4C2E-84DB-BBB72651064B.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. Rapid breathing soon followed by death is almost always velvet or an acute water quality problem....but anything severe like that usually affects all of the fish at roughly the same time, and the tang loss earlier and the sailfin still looking ok stretches that timeline out.
Usually, you can see a light dusting on fish that die from velvet, that’s why I asked about the cloudy fin.
Are you confident in the accuracy of your copper test?
Jay

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While no consolation, would suggest you try TSM Aquatics, Marine Collectors or QuarantinedMarine for your fish. Great experiences here on R2R and all quarantined.
Seems that LA has gone downhill evidenced by a number of negative reviews over the past several months.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. Rapid breathing soon followed by death is almost always velvet or an acute water quality problem....but anything severe like that usually affects all of the fish at roughly the same time, and the tang loss earlier and the sailfin still looking ok stretches that timeline out.
Usually, you can see a light dusting on fish that die from velvet, that’s why I asked about the cloudy fin.
Are you confident in the accuracy of your copper test?
Jay

Im using the Hanna colorimeter to check copper. During water changes I’ve dosed the 5G bucket with copper and tested it and the results are ~2ppm as expected.

My second quarantine is setup right next to this one with the same equipment and has had no problems so far.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While no consolation, would suggest you try TSM Aquatics, Marine Collectors or QuarantinedMarine for your fish. Great experiences here on R2R and all quarantined.
Seems that LA has gone downhill evidenced by a number of negative reviews over the past several months.

I will definitely be considering this for all expensive fish. It’s really hard to buy a fish without seeing it though.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sailfin tang in QT 1 still looks good. He's skittish now that he's alone. Probably convinced I'm a fish killer.

Blue tang in QT 2 still has pretty heavy ich. I turned the lights on this morning and dumped in some food and noticed he is breathing heavy. I don't know if its because of the lights/food. Will see when I get home from work.

I'm paranoid as hell now. I'm not confident a single fish will make it through quarantine.

All I want for xmas is a miracle.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back