Celebrating patience. Elevating the reef hobby.

Scott Fellman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It’s kind of funny to me how the same sorts of topics and issues keep popping up in the hobby world. Now two years removed from the business end of the reef world, I can see with a bit more clarity some of the happenings and trends in the hobby. And, talking to aquarists of all types daily, I am seeing what I find s somewhat obvious “cultural issue” we have in the hobby.

And I’ll come right out and state my “thesis” here:

I think that we- as a hobby, are not doing a good enough job celebrating the process of creating aquariums.

IMG_2871.JPG

I think we celebrate the “finished product” and fail to celebrate the joy, the heartache, the time- and the patience- the journey-which go into an aquarium. And further, I don't think we as a hobby do enough to recognize the telltale signs of hobbyists going too fast..

Since you spend time on forums Like R2R, you’ll see evidence of this all over the place. And I’m not the only one who has been noticing this, as evidenced by the considerable number of pm’s and emails I receive, and, the discussions I’ve had with other hobbyists on the subject.

Okay, we do have “build threads”, which are pretty cool, I think! We at least facilitate the sharing of the process of building reef tanks. They’re pretty popular, as they are inuring, interesting, and for many- aspirational.

Formosa-Forest-side.jpg

While the bulk of them do just that- celebrate the process- a disturbing number of them seem to exude an underlying feeling of “impatience”- a sense that there is a “destination” to get to- and that the person posting wants to get there really quickly! And I get this sense when I talk or correspond with some reefers, too. I see these types of “dysfunctional” (for want of a better word) build threads in reef keeping forums constantly, and they follow a very predictable path. They start out innocently and exciting enough- the tank concept is highlighted, the acquisition of (usually expensive) equipment is documented, and the build begins. The pace quickens. The urgency to “get the livestock in the tank ASAP” is palpable. Soon, pretty large chunks of change are dropped on some of the most trendy, expensive coral frags- or worse yet- colonies- available.

UC2inch-ultra-orange-acan-colony-148.JPG

Everyone “oohs and ahhs” over the additions. Those who understand the processes involved- and really think about it- begin to realize that this is going too fast…that the process is being rushed…that shortcuts and “hacks” are cherished more than the natural processes required for success. Sure enough, within a month or so, frantic social media and forum posts are written by the builder, asking for help to figure out why his/her expensive corals are “struggling”, despite the amount spent on high-tech equipment and said corals from reputable vendors.

When suggestions are offered by members of the community, usually they’re about correcting some aspect of the nitrogen cycle or other critical biological function that was bypassed or downplayed by the aquarist. Usually, the “fixes” involve “doubling back” and spending more time to “re-boot” and do things more slowly. To let the system sort of evolve (oh- THAT word!) The “yeah, I know, but..” type of responses- the ones that deflect responsibility- start piling up from the hobbyist. Often, the tank owner will apply some misplaced blame to the equipment manufacturer, the livestock vendor, the LFS employee…almost anyone but himself/herself. And soon after, the next post is in the forum’s “For Sale” section, selling off components of a once-ambitious aquarium. Another hobbyist lost to lack of patience.

Patience.

The single most important thing you need for a successful reef tank (well, except maybe cash!)- and the thing we celebrate the least, IMHO. And we should celebrate it a lot more.

Because you really can’t skip the process…

IMG_0114.JPG

Well, we can speed up some processes- adding bacterial additives to our new aquariums to “jump start” the nitrogen cycle. We can utilize nutritive soils and additives to help give plants the nutrition they need from day one. We can densely plant. All of these things and more are ways we have developed to speed up the natural processes which occur in our aquariums over time. They are band aids, props- quick starts…”hacks”, if you will. But they are not the key to establishing a successful long-term-viable aquarium. Ultimately, nature has to “approve” and work with any of the “boosts” we offer.

It’s a problem, IMHO. It doesn’t apply to everyone- it’s not always a devastating ending. However, it happens often enough to affect the hobby as a whole, especially when someone drops out because they went in with unrealistic expectations brought about by the observations they make every time they open up their iPad.

IMG_1010.JPG

The problem is, we as a hobby love to highlight the finished product. We document and celebrate the beauty of the IAPLC (a global freshwater aquascaping contest) champion’s ‘scape. But we minimally document the process that it took to get there. The reality is that the journey to the so-called “finished product” is really every bit as interesting as the finished product itself! It’s where the magic lies. The process. The journey. The time. The evolution. The patience.

fullsizeoutput_105.jpeg

I’ve always found it somewhat odd to see those amazing high-concept planted tanks broken down in their prime by the owner, to start a new one. I guess it’s part of the culture of that niche…a sort of self-imposed “termination” when something new is desired. The “process” is about hitting certain benchmarks and moving on, I suppose. (and if you only have one tank and 500 ideas, and the goal is to enter it into a new contest, it makes sense) And we have to respect that. But we also have a duty to explain this to newcomers. We have to let people know that, even in one of those seemingly “temporary” displays, patience and the passage of time are required.

tinted june 2017.jpg

Sure, these aspects don’t make for the best “optics”, as they say in politics. You can’t show an empty, cloudy aquarium on Instagram or Facebook and get 400 “likes” on the pic. No one wants to see the results of 33 consecutive nitrate tests. It’s not sexy. Sadly, acceptance from others of how cool our tanks are is a big deal for many, so sharing an “under construction” tank is not as exciting for a lot of people, because we celebrate that “finished product” (whatever it is) more than the process of getting there. We simply need to celebrate patience, the journey, and the “evolution” of our aquariums more. After a lifetime in the hobby it’s pretty easy for a guy like me to see when things are going in a direction that may not give the happy outcome my fellow hobbyists want. I see this just as much in the freshwater world as I do in the reef world. And with concerns about the growth of the hobby always brought up in gatherings and discussions, I think we owe it to ourselves to look at this more seriously; to think about the impact of this stuff on “big picture” a bit more.

Think about this:

Part of the reason why we celebrate the “evolution” of reef tanks is because the very act of working with one of these tanks IS an evolution. A process. A celebration of sensory delights. A reef aquarium has a “cadence” of its own, which we can set up- but we must let nature dictate the timing and sequencing. It starts with an empty tank. Then, the mixing of saltwater, the addition of live rock and sand…The excitement of the initial placement of the rocks within the tank. The gradual “addition of the corals. The progressive development of biofilms and algae “patinas”. Ultimately, the growth of the corals and associated fauna. All part of a process which can’t be “hacked” or rushed. Mother Nature is in control.

Whitby 01-01.jpg

We need to stress the process as much as the “finished product” (whatever that might be in this instance). I constantly talk about this, I know, but it’s really fundamental, IMHO. And it would be easy to describe my concern as very opinionated (well, it probably is…), but if you look at it objectively, it’s worth looking at.

We see people come into the hobby with some expectations of how they want their own reef to look, based on the tanks they see on forums and elsewhere. Human nature. Nothing wrong with having aspirational tanks to challenge us. Yet, we really need to stress the aesthetics of the tank during the “evolution” as part of the function, too. We should celebrate algae, coralline, and the growth and die off of some corals. It’s the very essence of Amano’s interpretation of Wabi-Sabi- the celebration of the transient nature of existence. And I get it. Not everyone appreciates the “zen-like” mindset I think is required to truly enjoy a reef like this. Not everyone finds the algae and small inverts growing on the undersides of live rock alluring. The fact that it closely replicates the natural reefs is of little consequence for the hobbyist who dislikes the heavy growth of various fauna and such, and wants a more “artistic” look to his/her tank, or a way to display his “LE” frags.. And not everyone is into water testing, gear, etc.

IMG_5231.JPG

And that’s okay.

Most of us celebrate the process. The evolution. Savor the time it takes to see a tank mature in this fashion. We love new tanks, just starting the journey, because we know how they progress if they are left to do what nature wants them to do. We understand as a community that it takes time. It takes patience. And that the evolution is the part of the experience that we can savor most of all…because it’s continuous.

IMG_7132.jpg

As a hobby in general, we need to document and celebrate the process. We need to have faith in nature, and relish the constant change, slow and indifferent to our needs though it may be. We need to emphasis to new and old aquarists alike that, in this 24/7/365 intent-enabled world we’re in- that patience, time, and evolution are all part of the enjoyment of the aquarium hobby. The smell of a brand new tank. The delight at the first new growth of a frag. The addition of the first fishes. All are experiences on a road -a journey- which will forever continue. As long as we allow the processes which enable it to do so.

Be kind to yourself. Be good to the hobby. Document. Share. Savor the process.

Stay patient. Stay generous. Stay honest. Stay curious.

And Stay Wet.

Scott Fellman

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great stuff Scott and very thoughtful. I can say one of my favorite parts of a reef tank is setting it up. Then I skip ahead and want greatness! HA! Thanks for the reminder!

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article Scott,

"Stay patient. Stay generous. Stay honest. Stay curious"

This is so important. I am seeing first hand , difficulties of the new reef tanks are not same as the old ones (from what I have learned by reading though old threads). I see more issues due to aggressive equipment controls, dosing and various other things (goes in same direction as the earlier article of stability and consistency). I see more and more tendency to overcome a problem by some aggressive curing technique instead of understanding the source of it and systematically resolve it, and also, more importantly, loosing the opportunity to learn/get to know your own tank and their inhabitants. I would love to see more emphasis on developing an intrinsic sense of tank health by just looking at it (water color, coral health, interactions of the animals, sound of equipments).. which is like long term relationship, can not come in one day.. time is a greate teacher

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a loooonnng time reefer/ enthusiast, I fully understand what's being conveyed in Scotts article and agree with the premise "that nothing good happens fast in this hobby".

If new hobbyists would look at their new found activity as "under water gardening", much like terrestrial gardening and educate, understand and apply fully what it takes to make that happen, expectations would be different. Successful terrestrial gardeners understand that nature has its time table and all they can do is watch and wait. This is where patience comes in.

"Patience" is a requirement, as it is a virtue. I knew that building my current system would take a long time to put together and was happy to take the time to construct it properly. (It took a year to build, before it was even wet.) No one likes mistakes and more so, spending more money than needed.

I'm in this for the long haul and enjoy watching my tank start out bare and lacking in life and evolve into the little ecosystem it's becoming. That's fun to me and very gratifying, much like a gardener takes pride in their garden. Unfortunately gardening isn't everyones cup of tea and reef keeping is no different, because "patience" is required.

Good job Scott, bravo!

Last edited:

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed 110%. Be patient, don't rushed mother nature to do its job. The reef we are having today starts millions years ago and yet some of us trying to emulate the success in a week!. It took me 2 years and once mother nature is in control, I can enjoy staring at my tank instead of cracking and scratching my head what's went wrong. We all will learn along the path of maturity, just give yourself and mother nature the time needed. The fruit is sweeter when it's ripe!

p/s: My english gets better when I am emotional :D

FFJohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think it is bad here Scott you should take a look on FB!!! EVERY time someone posts about GHA or Cyano everyone suggests throwing Chems at the problem instead of finding the source of it and fixing it. Starting a new tank? Throw Chems at it and cycle it in 48 hours!!! OK...that is a bit of a stretch but I think you get the point. Everyone wants their first fish in the tank...everyone!! But if you want it the day you set up the tank then go fresh water!! It is frustrating to an old fart like me that was taught how to look at things the right way. When I started there was no internet, we only had books and books and books. I managed to find a mentor that is a marine biologist after a few years and he bolstered everything I have read. Patience, don't buy junk equipment and most of all, as Scott stated, be patient!!! I just don't understand short cutting everything!!! Scott you have no idea how refreshing it is to see your post. Makes me feel like our hobby is not lost!!

OP
OP
Scott Fellman

Scott Fellman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great stuff Scott and very thoughtful. I can say one of my favorite parts of a reef tank is setting it up. Then I skip ahead and want greatness! HA! Thanks for the reminder!
And greatness you will achieve! Because (and I say this because I know you and understand your mind set) you have enormous self awareness, and are astute to the processes of nature!

OP
OP
Scott Fellman

Scott Fellman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article Scott,

"Stay patient. Stay generous. Stay honest. Stay curious"

This is so important. I am seeing first hand , difficulties of the new reef tanks are not same as the old ones (from what I have learned by reading though old threads). I see more issues due to aggressive equipment controls, dosing and various other things (goes in same direction as the earlier article of stability and consistency). I see more and more tendency to overcome a problem by some aggressive curing technique instead of understanding the source of it and systematically resolve it, and also, more importantly, loosing the opportunity to learn/get to know your own tank and their inhabitants. I would love to see more emphasis on developing an intrinsic sense of tank health by just looking at it (water color, coral health, interactions of the animals, sound of equipments).. which is like long term relationship, can not come in one day.. time is a greate teacher

Thanks for the kind words...I'm glad readers are taking this in the spirit in which it was intended- not like some rant against "the way stuff is"...more like an observation of a trend that we as a community can tweak- which will benefit the hobby long term.

I mean, I'm not longing for some "gentler, kinder" era of reef keeping, pining away for my HOB trickle filter, but I think that one thing that the internet, technology, and rapid development has done is fostered some unrealistic expectations by some neophytes, who think that you can circumvent the "learning curve" or having to abide by nature's rules because there is some technology that can do it for you. It's an age old issue, not confined to reef keeping...but it's important for us to not lose that human touch of simply getting our hands wet, smelling the smells, understanding what is actually going on in the aquarium- and appreciating the natural processes that are in play. That is one thing I think we did a little better "back in the day", simply because much of it was so new to us...Now, some 30 years on in the modern reef hobby, we move forward with a sense of confidence, but we can't lose sight of the processes of nature...'cause if we do- they'll kick our butts! :(

Last edited:

Jake Read

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a fantastic read! So true. I have been guilty of putting patience in the back seat a few times and suffering for it. Thanks for the reminder to slow down. I think this is very helpful and applicable to many things not just our crazy hobby. Thanks again for bringing it to the foreground!

OP
OP
Scott Fellman

Scott Fellman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a loooonnng time reefer/ enthusiast, I fully understand what's being conveyed in Scotts article and agree with the premise "that nothing good happens fast in this hobby".

If new hobbyists would look at their new found activity as "under water gardening", much like terrestrial gardening and educate, understand and apply fully what it takes to make that happen, expectations would be different. Successful terrestrial gardeners understand that nature has its time table and all they can do is watch and wait. This is where patience comes in.

"Patience" is a requirement, as it is a virtue. I knew that building my current system would take a long time to put together and was happy to take the time to construct it properly. (It took a year to build, before it was even wet.) No one likes mistakes and more so, spending more money than needed.

I'm in this for the long haul and enjoy watching my tank start out bare and lacking in life and evolve into the little ecosystem it's becoming. That's fun to me and very gratifying, much like a gardener takes pride in their garden. Unfortunately gardening isn't everyones cup of tea and reef keeping is no different, because "patience" is required.

Good job Scott, bravo!

Thanks for the kind words!

I think that the very best reefers have enormous patience (and some have large wallets, too!)...but they also have learned- perhaps the hard way- that observing the changes in their tank as it evolves is not only fascinating and educational- it's kind of essential. When we know what is the "normal" for our tank, we can more easily ***** things when something is amiss. Sure, our controllers will data log some stuff for us, but there is no substitute for slowing down and looking at your tank and trying to understand what's happening. It's at least as enjoyable as watching a Chalice grow ;Meh

Scott

OP
OP
Scott Fellman

Scott Fellman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a fantastic read! So true. I have been guilty of putting patience in the back seat a few times and suffering for it. Thanks for the reminder to slow down. I think this is very helpful and applicable to many things not just our crazy hobby. Thanks again for bringing it to the foreground!

Thank you!

I think we all are a bit impatient. We ALL want that colony sized Acro. We all want the lush, stable tank....And deep down, I think we ALL know that it's easy to obtain...if you trust nature, do the correct, albeit boring stuff (like water exchanges, tests, using regimens, etc.), and adjust only as dictated by the needs of your animals, not some new trend. It's the easy and THAT hard, lol! :p

-Scott

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree Scott. People want to rush to the final finished reef display. Some I think get bored when they take their time and then realize if they let their system mature naturally other than maintenance it can go for years without making any real changes. My tank may not be the most beautiful out there but all I have to do is normal maintenance. Nothing fancy no Apex controller, no frequent testing of water parameter as you learn to watch the tank and then test when something seems off. Being on a tight budget forces you to take things slowly along with having to drive 3 hours to the closest LFS.

djreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think it is bad here Scott you should take a look on FB!!! EVERY time someone posts about GHA or Cyano everyone suggests throwing Chems at the problem instead of finding the source of it and fixing it. Starting a new tank? Throw Chems at it and cycle it in 48 hours!!! OK...that is a bit of a stretch but I think you get the point. Everyone wants their first fish in the tank...everyone!! But if you want it the day you set up the tank then go fresh water!! It is frustrating to an old fart like me that was taught how to look at things the right way. When I started there was no internet, we only had books and books and books. I managed to find a mentor that is a marine biologist after a few years and he bolstered everything I have read. Patience, don't buy junk equipment and most of all, as Scott stated, be patient!!! I just don't understand short cutting everything!!! Scott you have no idea how refreshing it is to see your post. Makes me feel like our hobby is not lost!!

Who the hell solicits reef advice off of Facebook? That's an even bigger problem than the hair algae.

I've adopted a saying since I've gotten back into the business side of this, once again, that those who jump into this hobby with both feet usually jump right back out in 3 months with their ***** on fire.

It's very difficult convincing people to pace themselves and learn as they go. I think our society with it's 'instant gratification' mantra certainly doesn't help. It is about the process. Way to articulate what many of us fight on a daily basis in our professional/hobbyist lives.

DJ

OP
OP
Scott Fellman

Scott Fellman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree Scott. People want to rush to the final finished reef display. Some I think get bored when they take their time and then realize if they let their system mature naturally other than maintenance it can go for years without making any real changes. My tank may not be the most beautiful out there but all I have to do is normal maintenance. Nothing fancy no Apex controller, no frequent testing of water parameter as you learn to watch the tank and then test when something seems off. Being on a tight budget forces you to take things slowly along with having to drive 3 hours to the closest LFS.

Yes, the necessity of staying on budget, etc. definitely helps us temper our "wants", and I think can actually make us even better, more resourceful reefers! And- really-EVERY tank is beautiful, in terms of the elegant function of nature! Oh, sure, some might be more aesthetically appealing than others, but in the end, the wonderful natural systems are beautiful in and of themselves!

-Scott

Ortho281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article! Well written! Lessons there for everyone, not just those new to the hobby!

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many times people don't share the struggles when things go wrong and the struggle to get a tank to where you want it too be. The time it takes to get a tank to where you feel it is at it's best can be grueling painful.:(

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 66 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back