Cement curing to raise pH and alkalinity?

FranklinDattein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellow chemistry enthusiasts,

I was wondering if anyone explored the idea of using the cement curing process to our advantage. As you know, cement curing produces calcium hydroxide and has a high pH, something between 11-13.

One idea that comes to mind, is to use small blocks of freshly made cement, to raise pH in a controlled manner.

I guess the idea is silly, because it would probably be simpler to achieve more predictable results by dosing calcium hydroxide via dosing pump, but I thought it would be worth asking.

Rlreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure that the chemistry works since the calcium is bound when it is mixed with the other substances to make cement. Additionally, I do not know about the purity of the calcium that is used for bulk cement work. You may be able to make cement rubbel to grow anaerobic bacteria.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The same thing just occurred to me, but you beat me to the "eureka" moment.
I was ignorant of the ph effect when I built my scape with liberal use of hydraulic cement, and I always had 8.4 ph the first 4 months. Down to 8.2 now.
Another thread where the OP was debating a C02 scrubber or Kalkwasser brought it to mind.

If it was safe, I'd be much more inclined to drop in four ceramic-sphere sized hunks of cement every 3-4 months for a slow release and stable ph buffer. It's just as valuable when exhausted as established and cycled live rubble rock.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 58 85.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.4%
Back