Center brace?

  • Thread starter Thread starter skinz78
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Joined
May 8, 2009
Messages
21,938
Reaction score
637
Location
lovely rainy NW Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently my 12g frag tank has just not been working out for me, LOL it is too small! I still have my first ever tank that I used for a reef but the problem is that the center brace has came unglued and fell out. In all the years that it has been sitting in storage I have lost the center brace. The tank is a 4' long 45 gallon glass tank and I am wondering if it would be possible to add a new center brace out of acrylic? I was thinking a 4" wide strip of 1/4" glued in and attached to the plastic rim. Can I just use super glue or 2 part PVC glue, or is there a certain type of adhesive that I need to get?
 
I actually just found the old center brace, it was only siliconed in, in this case would it be OK to use some super glue gel to glue it back in?
 
Glue will not be reliable once tank is filled... Imo if glued it will eventually always break again. Hence I would go with lee's advice.

That being said i kept a 55 g tank of cichlids for almost 2 years with a broken center brace! I You could notice that the glass would curve leaving about 1/4" or more were the brace was supposed to meet the sides.I would not recommend it!! Thankfully nothing ever happened.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Get a piece of glass cut to fit inside the tank and silicone it in place. Works like a charm

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
 
A piece of aircraft cable in the center with nylon bolts would be the hot ticket IMHO.....;)

I think what he's talking about is drilling and tapping the tank and using airplane cable around the bolts there is a way you'd splice it back together and pull it tight easy fix google airplane cable for aquarium center brace !
 
You could weld some stainless rods and flat bar and make you a brace that fits over your trim. That's what i did with my tank.
 
Last edited:
Wrong pic
2011-05-25_12-05-13_389.jpg
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 100.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new