Ceramic Magnets from hardware store reef safe?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20160226_121909440.jpg
my reef looks like pinhead from the hellraiser series of the 80s :)

these magnets rock as cleaning magnets for pico reefs in every way. take sticky Velcro, use either the soft or hard bristles and cut a matching circle, much smaller than the current smallest avail cleaner for getting into tight places. I have ordered 30 magnets so far lol ive been giving them out for various uses, mainly condensation wiper cleaner setups for mini terrariums made

1456510951436-887394851.jpg

Last edited:

JerryO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use these, they're made by Zoo Med. They are threaded so you can even find nylon screws that will fit where the Tubing and Heater Clips would otherwise be screwed in. You can then attach plexiglass or egg crate for homemade frag racs or, you can even glue individual frags to the nylon screw heads and re-use if you choose to relocate the frag, or you could even use the tube brackets that are included to hold the frags. MarineDepot carries them but if you search Amazon, they have some better prices. They are a tad expensive @$8.95 each at MarineDepot, I've seen them as low as $4.00. They are very versatile and can be used for many other applications in your tanks. I replaced all my suction cups that hold heaters, etc. since suction cups don't last very long. Also, the magnets are pretty strong, so careful when attaching, you may want to attach felt to both sides to protect the glass.

Screen Shot 2016-02-26 at 5.56.28 PM.png

Last edited:

JerryO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vase.jpg
hey nice custom work! I was doing the radioshack neos on a paper plate, then id dropper expoxy over them as a shell, repeat for the under and seal it all up. the epoxy just cracks open 4 mos later rusting. I bet that rubberized stuff would work, the handle dips for big wrenches etc. plasticizer

if ya'll know of any retailers for single frag holders I need link to fit in whats left of this space. opened up on a 19" or bigger monitor the picture is actually life size heh

the ideal would be a little plastic or clear frag holder with in/out magnet and some form of no rust for the inner magnet. on the pic above left, that floating hammer coral is glued to a nano mag cleaner but I read even those rot in time. dang our corrosions. the lobo in that pic just stung the crap out of the red brain plated on the rock next to it, he gets jailed off to the side on a floating plug lol.
That's a really cool little, and I mean little, display for your frags...great job!

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for checking it out~spacing was such that my lobo stung the brain coral to its left from being too close on the rock and using the glass was the only free real estate. Add to that my sps was slow growing and spiking the lighting is too much for lps, so now that the sps was moved to mobile stations can scoot into the upper neck area now for blasting light just a fun wierd way to reef
Too little par mounted low was stn'ing the sps this move up should fix it right up in three mos

14565369149001630227433.jpg

Reefboy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make and sale these and have had them in my system for years with no problems. I coat the one that go inside and as you can see 1/2 inch is not a problem with just about anything on them.

frag rack.jpg

20160226_173757.jpg

frag rack 1.jpg

frag rack 4.jpg

frag rack 2.jpg

biged1969

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use ceramic magnets from harbor freight. 2 rectangle magnets for a buck. been using them for years right out of the pack.

fetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make and sale these and have had them in my system for years with no problems. I coat the one that go inside and as you can see 1/2 inch is not a problem with just about anything on them.

frag rack.jpg

20160226_173757.jpg

frag rack 1.jpg

frag rack 4.jpg

frag rack 2.jpg
What do you coat them with

raysun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ceramic magnets are more accurately called ceramo-metal magnets (or rare earth magnets.) A common magnet material is barium-ferrite. Others use neobdynium or other 'rare earth' metals.

The metals should be held 'in solution' pretty tightly in the ceramic 'glass' matrix. Like any 'glass' it has superfluid properties, so these are not strictly inert solids. (In fact most solids are not inert in a saline aqueous solution - stick a piece of steel in there and see what happens.)

Its pretty much guaranteed there will be some leaching, but how much, what elements, and what the effects might be are variables for experiment.

Some sort of epoxy coating, or plastic potting may slow down the rate of ion exchange between the magnet structure and the aquarium water.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could have sworn it said completely weather proof before I ordered

After re reading they must have hidden it where are you seeing that

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upon inspection I deem them hermetically plasticized :)

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some video

can rotate my frags 360

Adjust them for behavior like green brain sweeper guy

Adjust par intensity per frag

The frag mounts solved my space problem

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000% happy so far

Sorry for the blue I barely got these kessils dialed in no changing to white just for pics...the red monti is creeping up the base and I'm breaking off two frags from the side growths to go on two new magnet mounts, can move and position as needed.

image.jpeg

Feb 26 this year:
image.jpeg

its amazing how the lobes/growth tips in the Feb shot are white-rimmed. those were the active cellular division areas indicated by a color morph, check. a few mos later each of those specific lobes is fraggable, and the other contours of the parent frag still look like the first shot.

Last edited:

christyahumada

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20160226_121909440.jpg
my reef looks like pinhead from the hellraiser series of the 80s :)

these magnets rock as cleaning magnets for pico reefs in every way. take sticky Velcro, use either the soft or hard bristles and cut a matching circle, much smaller than the current smallest avail cleaner for getting into tight places. I have ordered 30 magnets so far lol ive been giving them out for various uses, mainly condensation wiper cleaner setups for mini terrariums made

1456510951436-887394851.jpg
Can I use these?
1635712224740.png

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they look like KJ's but I can't be sure, that didnt say if was from kj site.

I have these same magnets in place for year ten honestly I think we just hit a dec submerged. great magnets, great great reefing magnets. not one crack at all.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back