Ceramic Magnets from hardware store reef safe?

jmags080307

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
read a lot of posts on this and what do people think? i bought some from home depot that are ceramic and was going to use them to mount a small frag rack.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you guys saying I can buy any of these, one on the outside one on the inside, I can glue corals to the actual disc inside, to have a glass mounted frag, and the inside one won't break down or rot like metal ones I've needed these for so long didn't know there was ceramic ones. I thought it was all neodymium ones and have experiments with casing after casing they always fail and rust

http://www.homedepot.com/s/ceramic+magnets?NCNI-5

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Are you guys saying I can buy any of these, one on the outside one on the inside, I can glue corals to the actual disc inside, to have a glass mounted frag, and the inside one won't break down or rot like metal ones I've needed these for so long didn't know there was ceramic ones. I thought it was all neodymium ones and have experiments with casing after casing they always fail and rust

http://www.homedepot.com/s/ceramic+magnets?NCNI-5
Wow good question hoping someone can shed a little light here

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Home Depot ceramic magnets are made with iron oxide and strontium carbonate.. I would think coating them with epoxy before using them in salt water would be a good idea.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang lol

Currently I'm stuck using a nano mag for the trick it's too big.

What about a single frag plug holder? I've truly searched amazon etc and my lfs has some but they won't sell... Where can I get a single frag magnetic holder the one my lfs has is perfect, small, and its coated in fake concrete or something it's truly submersion safe

Anyone got a link to a single holder?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have only used the rectangle 1" x 2" x 1/2" ceramic magnets.
If it is a true ceramic magnet it's safe.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mfinn is the magnet you are mentioning safe to be directly placed in sw im looking for those do you have the link

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
mfinn is the magnet you are mentioning safe to be directly placed in sw im looking for those do you have the link

The ones I've used I found at Home Depot and another store called Tacoma Screw. ( actual name of a store that sells screws and everything else).
The ones at Home Depot were just bare ceramic magnets in a blister pack. 1" x 2" x 1/2".
Then the ones at the other store had plastic cases around all sides but one.
When I first started using them, ( maybe 10 years ago) it worked pretty good, but soon found out they just weren't strong enough to hold much even through 3/8" glass.
Plus they looked pretty tacky, with glue and silicone everywhere.

I started looking into neodymium magnets and what I could do.
I came up with a idea on how to make frag racks and made 50+ for family and close friends.
Those worked much better and I could make them to hold big colonies of corals through 1/2" glass. I even made a few for use through 3/4" acrylic, but they were a little pricey because of the cost of the neodymium magnets.

I'll try and get a picture.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The ceramic magnets I used were placed directly in the tank.

The very first one I made were just the magnets silicone to the suction cup attachment for a maxi-jet 1200.
I used this as a way to add flow in my refugium area.
I'll look and see if I still have that one around.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if someone pm'd me a custom job req id decline it because im too busy playing heavy metal and drones I don't want any side jobs :)

but if anyone wants to build 2 custom micro smallest possible single plug holders ill pay 25xx paypal. my whole reef is a gallon vase and ive used up all my space except for the walls. last time I did sps on the walls I had total opaquing so it must be mini moveable plugs now

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vase.jpg
hey nice custom work! I was doing the radioshack neos on a paper plate, then id dropper expoxy over them as a shell, repeat for the under and seal it all up. the epoxy just cracks open 4 mos later rusting. I bet that rubberized stuff would work, the handle dips for big wrenches etc. plasticizer

if ya'll know of any retailers for single frag holders I need link to fit in whats left of this space. opened up on a 19" or bigger monitor the picture is actually life size heh

the ideal would be a little plastic or clear frag holder with in/out magnet and some form of no rust for the inner magnet. on the pic above left, that floating hammer coral is glued to a nano mag cleaner but I read even those rot in time. dang our corrosions. the lobo in that pic just stung the crap out of the red brain plated on the rock next to it, he gets jailed off to the side on a floating plug lol.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
hey nice custom work! I was doing the radioshack neos on a paper plate, then id dropper expoxy over them as a shell, repeat for the under and seal it all up. the epoxy just cracks open 4 mos later rusting. I bet that rubberized stuff would work, the handle dips for big wrenches etc. plasticizer
Thanks

I used 1" x 3/8" neodymium magnets for the inside.
I found some re-useable molds just a little bigger than the magnets.
I used polyester casting resin with black dye ( to block uv rays) to coat the magnets and to attach the black eggcrate.
I originally used 1" x 1/4" epoxy coated neodymium magnets for the outside, but found that after a year or so they started to rust ( even on the outside), so I found those rubber coated ones for the outside magnets.

I think the rubber coating might just break down, even the plastic dip stuff, but I have not tested it so I'm just guessing.
I'm thinking in terms of years when I say I think it might break down.

Just a guess.

Alucard

Stomatopodiatrist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually making single frag holders with the K&J ones right now with pieces of LR and barnacles. I wanted to cover the back glass with polyps and other corals. They are very strong and high quality

nstd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually making single frag holders with the K&J ones right now with pieces of LR and barnacles. I wanted to cover the back glass with polyps and other corals. They are very strong and high quality

Which ones do you use?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back