OP
merickson45

merickson45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Tried keeping it at a lower setting to prevent temp spike?

also make sure that the top layer is just good chaeto, not the schmooish kind of stuff.

Unfortunately the H380 is binary on off (grow or bloom). Will try your suggestion, though it is tumbling a bit now and much less full of detritus.

Fritz
OP
merickson45

merickson45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Yeah i agree, but the discussion is nice.

One thing i do is just put a few different macros in the refugium. Seems like they take turns dominating each other. And i'll harvest more of one than another to keep a balance i want based on what combo lets water through it more or less, what combo traps more or less detritus, and what macro is not have nuisance algae trying to take hold in it.

20210908_124326.jpg
20210908_124342.jpg

This is where I'm headed now I guess, Ulva and chaeto together. If it works, I'll probably stick with it, if it ain't broke...

And yes, I think the discussion is very useful. I see a lot of people having similar issues, and it's helpful to have documented successes/failures even if they are anecdotal. I plan to continue updating here with the results of my efforts, hopefully it will be a success...

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
How is your chaeto working out this time?

I just returned after being away for 5 days. Before I left I added some trace elements along with the chaeto grow. My chaeto seems to have grown a descent amount since I left. Going to measure nitrates and phosphates tomorrow to check the impact that it has had on them.

OP
merickson45

merickson45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
How is your chaeto working out this time?

I just returned after being away for 5 days. Before I left I added some trace elements along with the chaeto grow. My chaeto seems to have grown a descent amount since I left. Going to measure nitrates and phosphates tomorrow to check the impact that it has had on them.

Glad to hear your Chaeto is growing well!

Might be a bit early to say for sure, but looks like my Chaeto has not bounced back. There's a small little patch in there, hasn't grown but hasn't died. However, the Ulva seems to be doing very well. I might have, against my will, converted to an Ulva refugium...if it works, fine with me!

Still growing out my bucket Chaeto, so I'll probably try and add it too after I have enough, see if I can get both types of algae going.

PXL_20210915_051037936.jpg

WheatToast

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Glad to hear your Chaeto is growing well!

Might be a bit early to say for sure, but looks like my Chaeto has not bounced back. There's a small little patch in there, hasn't grown but hasn't died. However, the Ulva seems to be doing very well. I might have, against my will, converted to an Ulva refugium...if it works, fine with me!

Still growing out my bucket Chaeto, so I'll probably try and add it too after I have enough, see if I can get both types of algae going.

PXL_20210915_051037936.jpg
Absolutely lovely looking refugium! In my experience and from what I have read, pods enjoy congregating on Sea lettuce (Ulva) more than Chaetomorpha. Are you experiencing this? Also, do you have any plans on adding other varieties of algae (Codium, Gracilaria, Halymenia, Cladophora, Enteromorpha (the stringy Ulva species), Caulerpa (the legal species), etc.) and other CUC/animals (Mysid shrimp, Grass shrimp, Micro brittle stars, etc.) to the refugium?

Last edited:
BRS
OP
merickson45

merickson45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Absolutely lovely looking refugium! In my experience and from what I have read, pods enjoy congregating on Sea lettuce (Ulva) more than Chaetomorpha. Are you experiencing this? Also, do you have any plans on adding other varieties of algae (Codium, Gracilaria, Halymenia, Cladophora, Enteromorpha (the stringy Ulva species), Caulerpa (the legal species), etc.) and other CUC/animals (Mysid shrimp, Grass shrimp, Micro brittle stars, etc.) to the refugium?

Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for pods on the Ulva and let you know. Since my Chaeto never grew well, I won't really have any reference to say if there are more or less. I'll try to take some close up pictures after the refugium is running for a while so you can get a sense.

I'm definitely open to adding other species later on, for now I'm just focusing on refugium stability though. As for other cleanup crew and animals, if they are reef safe, the more the better, I love diversity. I'm actually actively looking for micro brittle stars locally, I had some in my old 10 gallon that didn't survive the upgrade. Would love to have them in this one. Also those tiny little micro red fan worms with white tubes, would love to add some of those. Thing is, I QT everything for at least 45 days no exceptions so adding things takes a while...

WheatToast

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I'm definitely open to adding other species later on, for now I'm just focusing on refugium stability though. As for other cleanup crew and animals, if they are reef safe, the more the better, I love diversity. I'm actually actively looking for micro brittle stars locally, I had some in my old 10 gallon that didn't survive the upgrade. Would love to have them in this one. Also those tiny little micro red fan worms with white tubes, would love to add some of those. Thing is, I QT everything for at least 45 days no exceptions so adding things takes a while...
I actually have some of those fan worms and hundreds of micro brittle stars... and I live in the Bay Area. Perhaps I could lend you some (though I have never tried this before)...
2FA9D335-25D5-4185-97E1-8A830B38BB33.jpeg

0709D140-0EC9-49A2-90DF-F1CFC9B0A7D7.jpeg

afrokobe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for pods on the Ulva and let you know. Since my Chaeto never grew well, I won't really have any reference to say if there are more or less. I'll try to take some close up pictures after the refugium is running for a while so you can get a sense.

I know its not local, but I would highly recommend IPSF. I just placed an order to add some biodiversity to my new tank and I couldn't be happier.

Top Shelf Aquatics

How long does it take to you to get an inch of acropora growth? (on average)

• A couple of weeks or less

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Up to 1 month

Votes: 14 6.4%
  • Up to 2 months

Votes: 22 10.0%
  • Up to 3 months

Votes: 37 16.8%
  • Up to 6 months

Votes: 49 22.3%
  • Up to 12 months

Votes: 16 7.3%