OP
themericks

themericks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried keeping it at a lower setting to prevent temp spike?

also make sure that the top layer is just good chaeto, not the schmooish kind of stuff.

Unfortunately the H380 is binary on off (grow or bloom). Will try your suggestion, though it is tumbling a bit now and much less full of detritus.

OP
OP
themericks

themericks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i agree, but the discussion is nice.

One thing i do is just put a few different macros in the refugium. Seems like they take turns dominating each other. And i'll harvest more of one than another to keep a balance i want based on what combo lets water through it more or less, what combo traps more or less detritus, and what macro is not have nuisance algae trying to take hold in it.

20210908_124326.jpg
20210908_124342.jpg

This is where I'm headed now I guess, Ulva and chaeto together. If it works, I'll probably stick with it, if it ain't broke...

And yes, I think the discussion is very useful. I see a lot of people having similar issues, and it's helpful to have documented successes/failures even if they are anecdotal. I plan to continue updating here with the results of my efforts, hopefully it will be a success...

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your chaeto working out this time?

I just returned after being away for 5 days. Before I left I added some trace elements along with the chaeto grow. My chaeto seems to have grown a descent amount since I left. Going to measure nitrates and phosphates tomorrow to check the impact that it has had on them.

OP
OP
themericks

themericks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your chaeto working out this time?

I just returned after being away for 5 days. Before I left I added some trace elements along with the chaeto grow. My chaeto seems to have grown a descent amount since I left. Going to measure nitrates and phosphates tomorrow to check the impact that it has had on them.

Glad to hear your Chaeto is growing well!

Might be a bit early to say for sure, but looks like my Chaeto has not bounced back. There's a small little patch in there, hasn't grown but hasn't died. However, the Ulva seems to be doing very well. I might have, against my will, converted to an Ulva refugium...if it works, fine with me!

Still growing out my bucket Chaeto, so I'll probably try and add it too after I have enough, see if I can get both types of algae going.

PXL_20210915_051037936.jpg

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear your Chaeto is growing well!

Might be a bit early to say for sure, but looks like my Chaeto has not bounced back. There's a small little patch in there, hasn't grown but hasn't died. However, the Ulva seems to be doing very well. I might have, against my will, converted to an Ulva refugium...if it works, fine with me!

Still growing out my bucket Chaeto, so I'll probably try and add it too after I have enough, see if I can get both types of algae going.

PXL_20210915_051037936.jpg
Absolutely lovely looking refugium! In my experience and from what I have read, pods enjoy congregating on Sea lettuce (Ulva) more than Chaetomorpha. Are you experiencing this? Also, do you have any plans on adding other varieties of algae (Codium, Gracilaria, Halymenia, Cladophora, Enteromorpha (the stringy Ulva species), Caulerpa (the legal species), etc.) and other CUC/animals (Mysid shrimp, Grass shrimp, Micro brittle stars, etc.) to the refugium?

Last edited:
OP
OP
themericks

themericks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely lovely looking refugium! In my experience and from what I have read, pods enjoy congregating on Sea lettuce (Ulva) more than Chaetomorpha. Are you experiencing this? Also, do you have any plans on adding other varieties of algae (Codium, Gracilaria, Halymenia, Cladophora, Enteromorpha (the stringy Ulva species), Caulerpa (the legal species), etc.) and other CUC/animals (Mysid shrimp, Grass shrimp, Micro brittle stars, etc.) to the refugium?

Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for pods on the Ulva and let you know. Since my Chaeto never grew well, I won't really have any reference to say if there are more or less. I'll try to take some close up pictures after the refugium is running for a while so you can get a sense.

I'm definitely open to adding other species later on, for now I'm just focusing on refugium stability though. As for other cleanup crew and animals, if they are reef safe, the more the better, I love diversity. I'm actually actively looking for micro brittle stars locally, I had some in my old 10 gallon that didn't survive the upgrade. Would love to have them in this one. Also those tiny little micro red fan worms with white tubes, would love to add some of those. Thing is, I QT everything for at least 45 days no exceptions so adding things takes a while...

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm definitely open to adding other species later on, for now I'm just focusing on refugium stability though. As for other cleanup crew and animals, if they are reef safe, the more the better, I love diversity. I'm actually actively looking for micro brittle stars locally, I had some in my old 10 gallon that didn't survive the upgrade. Would love to have them in this one. Also those tiny little micro red fan worms with white tubes, would love to add some of those. Thing is, I QT everything for at least 45 days no exceptions so adding things takes a while...
I actually have some of those fan worms and hundreds of micro brittle stars... and I live in the Bay Area. Perhaps I could lend you some (though I have never tried this before)...
2FA9D335-25D5-4185-97E1-8A830B38BB33.jpeg

0709D140-0EC9-49A2-90DF-F1CFC9B0A7D7.jpeg

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for pods on the Ulva and let you know. Since my Chaeto never grew well, I won't really have any reference to say if there are more or less. I'll try to take some close up pictures after the refugium is running for a while so you can get a sense.

I know its not local, but I would highly recommend IPSF. I just placed an order to add some biodiversity to my new tank and I couldn't be happier.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...I guess I'll be running an Ulva fuge now...

PXL_20210930_050410950.jpg

PXL_20210930_050447843~2.jpg

And @WheatToast, I do see quite a lot of pods crawling on the Ulva. Hard to image/film, but they are everywhere.
looks great! I am doing a mixture of ulva and chaeto in my fuge. I just did my first harvest this past weekend.
PXL_20211002_192231354.jpg

Excuse the dirty bucket, did a water change on the fw before. Pulled all of this from a 2 gallon hob fuge. I guess my nutrient export is working!

OP
OP
themericks

themericks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, glad your Chaeto is working! The kicker for me is that when I took the picture above I noticed a patch of Chaeto growing in the middle of the Ulva. Guess it was just lonely and needed some company, we'll see if it makes a comeback...

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, glad your Chaeto is working! The kicker for me is that when I took the picture above I noticed a patch of Chaeto growing in the middle of the Ulva. Guess it was just lonely and needed some company, we'll see if it makes a comeback...
Just be easy on harvesting. I notice/perceive if i harvest too much it can kinda shock the plant that causes a pause in growing again.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my refugium crashed hard. It's really odd. Growing gang busters and now my ulva totally took over too. Phosphates and nitrates jumped up and then i noticed dead chaeto, etc.

I might be at wits end too!

Lol.

Always something in this hobby!

I cleaned the refugium totally out and will start over with it. Does make me wonder if i need it at all...

OP
OP
themericks

themericks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that! Hope it's working out after the reset.

My fuge has been doing well, I harvest around 2 cups of Ulva a week. Some Chaeto is still alive, though it is in the minority. I haven't been harvesting it to see if it will get a foothold and mix in with the Ulva. I still have a little red cyano around the edges but it doesn't seem to be causing trouble, hopefully it'll die out over time.

I actually had to reduce the fuge photoperiod, it was working too well and my nitrates and phosphates we're bottoming out. And now I've got TONS of amphipods and copepods in there. The amphipods scurry around the detritus and the copepods congregate on the Ulva and Chaeto. Pretty cool!

Fingers crossed, but things are looking up so far :)

PXL_20211110_064023130.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20211110_064034453.jpg
    PXL_20211110_064034453.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 24

haitian_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's working out great! Almost too great, if I forget to harvest regularly it's easy for my nitrates and phosphates to get too low...

It's also hosting a stable copepod and amphipod population.
Great to hear! I’m waiting on my ulva from @AlgaeBarn . Wish me luck!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back