Chaeto dying off

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my chaeto isn't growing great and seems to be slowly becoming more brittle and loose. I have a Neptune Gro that I'm running at night for 8 hrs. I'm wondering if my baffle setup is causing just flow across the top and starving it? My nitrates are plenty high at 15-20. I tried adding an mp10 but it seemed like a lot of flow and started breaking apart almost immediately. Anyone got ideas?

IMG_20210820_075711.jpg

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How long have you had the chaeto? What light are you using?
Was it shipped or LFS purchase?
Just read Neptune gro for light.

OP
OP
pandaparties

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the chaeto? What light are you using?
Was it shipped or LFS purchase?
Just read Neptune gro for light.
Had for a few weeks with next to no growth, and becoming less stiff and more brittle. Got it from algaebarn shipped

MA Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my chaeto isn't growing great and seems to be slowly becoming more brittle and loose. I have a Neptune Gro that I'm running at night for 8 hrs. I'm wondering if my baffle setup is causing just flow across the top and starving it? My nitrates are plenty high at 15-20. I tried adding an mp10 but it seemed like a lot of flow and started breaking apart almost immediately. Anyone got ideas?

IMG_20210820_075711.jpg

Might want to check that light......i couldnt grow anything in my sump with 25w led....kessil a80 grow....until i bought an el cheapo 100w led fixture off amazon.

Then i was harvesting almost weekly

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maximize par by raising the chaeto to water surface with live rock or egg crate. Lower the light as close as you can.
If this doesn't work, get a cheap Amazon horticulture grow light. Stupid bright.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

2 day shipping, I'd say it was room temperature. One of the clumps was super thin and brittle but the other clump seemed healthy.
Its probably the light. I don't use leds for my chaeto and run my 65w 4.2kelvin bulb for 12 hours. I get tons of growth.

MA Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maximize par by raising the chaeto to water surface with live rock or egg crate. Lower the light as close as you can.
If this doesn't work, get a cheap Amazon horticulture grow light. Stupid bright.

Thats the one i was talking about

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might also be low iron. I tried several times would grow at first then would break up and die. I then dosed cheato gro by bright well and it took off. I thought it was my light too but wasn’t in my case

OP
OP
pandaparties

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's impossible to know your ratio by 'fine' an actual number would be much more helpful in helping you.
I just meant its not 0, or astronomically high. I've never heard of the ratio of nitrates to po4 being important but i was around .08 with my nitrates at 20ppm. Thanks for the help so far :)

Lot's of good advice so far. I appreciate it everyone. I got a different light, and i'm going to try to lift it up off the ground a little bit both to get better flow and stronger light.

reefermadness21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to keep up with this thread, I have had 2 batches of chaeto die, one from algae barn, one from LFS. Nitrates run 20-40 ppm, phosphate 70 ppb. I had a small brown algae out break during cycling but now nothing. I am going to check my light power. How much power does the chaeto need?

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 68 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back