Chaeto leaking out of refugium

benmed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just submitted myself to highway robbery by buying a small chunk of Chaeto for like 30 dollars from algae barn.
I put it into my refugium and was pleased to see it spinning nicely. I came back a couple hours later and thought, man, that ball looks a lot smaller than what I put in there.
I realized that small spaghetti strands were falling off and exiting the refugium over the wall. I saw little hair strands all throughout the sump and even to my incredible dismay, one made it inside my skimmer.
Anyway, am I screwed? Anything to prevent this? Just flush my fish down the toilet now?

video attached:

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just submitted myself to highway robbery by buying a small chunk of Chaeto for like 30 dollars from algae barn.
I put it into my refugium and was pleased to see it spinning nicely. I came back a couple hours later and thought, man, that ball looks a lot smaller than what I put in there.
I realized that small spaghetti strands were falling off and exiting the refugium over the wall. I saw little hair strands all throughout the sump and even to my incredible dismay, one made it inside my skimmer.
Anyway, am I screwed? Anything to prevent this? Just flush my fish down the toilet now?

video attached:

What? Why? It's just algae. Stinky, gross algae, but it's not the indestructible supervillain of the aquarium with horrifying superpowers! That would be the Kenya Tree.

Just pluck it out of your display if you see it. And then get some nice macroalgae, like halymenia or pencillus, and put it in your display. If you don't have voracious herbivores, that is.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though Cheeto grows like a weed and 30$ is indeed a robbery, it won’t take over a tank.
I drop my weekly softballs of Cheeto in my tanks and let my herbivores shred it. It goes everywhere but disappears pretty quick.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a business the price is right, you not just paying for chaeto, you paying for a pest free piece of algae that is good enough to seed the refugium it will grow to a decent amount in a couple weeks. Most growers have the chaeto in a separate thank without fish, with flow and strong lighting to achieve the clean product, all that adds up to the overhead that we can easily overlook.
if you wanted cheaper you could of got it from a fellow reefer and deal with the possible pests that often come with chaeto.
Regarding the algae being al over the sump you only got yourself to blame as the refugium is not build properly, you need a clip on weir on the baffle instead of some filter wool.

yanetterer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use a piece of aquamesh or something similar: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/black-1.html

Just cut it so it puts a little bit of pressure on the walls to hold itself up and have it come up just above the waterline to prevent any chaeto from flowing over the baffle. I used it in my sump that didn't have a refugium section and it has been working well.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a business the price is right, you not just paying for chaeto, you paying for a pest free piece of algae that is good enough to seed the refugium it will grow to a decent amount in a couple weeks. Most growers have the chaeto in a separate thank without fish, with flow and strong lighting to achieve the clean product, all that adds up to the overhead that we can easily overlook.
if you wanted cheaper you could of got it from a fellow reefer and deal with the possible pests that often come with chaeto.
Regarding the algae being al over the sump you only got yourself to blame as the refugium is not build properly, you need a clip on weir on the baffle instead of some filter wool.
While I agree that Algae Barn may take extra steps to insure a pest free product, they have this disclaimer on their website. Nothing is guaranteed. You can manually remove pests such as bristle worms and stars from chaeto, so long as it isn't packed with aiptasia too.
Screenshot_20220915-075436~2.png

And to the op, the chaeto ball doesn't have to spin. You can float it in a basket and it will be fine.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

video attached:

Also, for experienced reefers that $30 ball of "highway robbery" is actually a nice item because Algae Barn ensure's you're getting exactly a ball of chaeto. When you start to really get involved you want to ensure you know exactly what macro algae you're growing. Buying some cheap ball of chaeto from an LFS for $10 means you're getting unwanted junk and pests with it.

You get what you pay for in this hobby (unless of course you paid for ecotech lights running morbius). :)

Last edited by a moderator:

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just made a divider out of egg crate and put plastic mesh over it. Or I guess you could just flush your fish down the toilet, it's probably what I would do. It would make life so much simpler :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

I flushed this month's mortgage bill down the toilet. Will report back next month to let you guys know how it went.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

video attached:

Slow down the flow, it does not have to tumble.
Besides, tumbling makes any critters in the chaeto dizzy.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get one of those little net fish fry boxes and put it in there. That's what I did for awhile.

OP
OP
B

benmed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I put that filter sock on there to save some of the strands of Chaeto from making a Nemo-style escape into the sumps where it would clog my pump. And it did block about 4 pieces of that green money spaghetti from escaping, so that’s almost half a Bitcoin. My kids can go to collage now. But now I know the name of the thing, clip on weir. So, thanks!

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put that filter sock on there to save some of the strands of Chaeto from making a Nemo-style escape into the sumps where it would clog my pump. And it did block about 4 pieces of that green money spaghetti from escaping, so that’s almost half a Bitcoin. My kids can go to collage now. But now I know the name of the thing, clip on weir. So, thanks!
Interesting to look at this thread in a few weeks once you become a bitcoin whale and have to trow billions worth in the bin on weekly basis ;)
Have you found the clip on weir? I can post a link or a pic if it helps? It’s a neat way to convert the baffle and it works well.

OP
OP
B

benmed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting to look at this thread in a few weeks once you become a bitcoin whale and have to trow billions worth in the bin on weekly basis ;)
Have you found the clip on weir? I can post a link or a pic if it helps? It’s a neat way to convert the baffle and it works well.
I didn’t find an aquarium one. But I just bought a comb which I think will work?

OP
OP
B

benmed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the refugium redo… hopefully it works. I adjusted the plumbing with a pvc tube with holes drilled in it pushing water across the top of the refugium away from the exit site (which has a WEIR). It’s got a pretty good tumble so hopefully this works.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 150 75.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%

Back