Chaeto reactor

Coug92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

i am considering switching from a fuge to a cheato reactor to help keep the sump free of all the hair algae which seems to outcompete the charto. Also the detritus and mess. Is the Pax worth the price versis some of the other options? My sustem is only 112 galon but It seems like it would make sense to iversize the reactor of it will fit? I am doing triton method fill . Anyone have one to sell?

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a pax bellum n24. But to be honestly, the primary reason I pick that over reef octopus one is because it looks cooler ... I don't believe they will perform significantly difference. It's more important to run them correctly, like with proper photoperiod, flow, and micro elements (Fe).

Couple thing I can point out for pax
  • The quick connect is really convenient when taking the reactor out to harvest and clean. But you can add one for yourself to other reactor as well.
  • The heat sink of the light goes quite hot to touch when running. Reef octopus one don't have heatsink, instead the light sit in water to cool down. So I assume the heat goes to the water instead. The light is 20w, so it's like less than 10w of heat.
  • The light tube of pax need to be clean every time I harvest. Since the light of reef octopus sit in water, it will need to be cleaned as well.
  • The light of pax just sit loosely on top. So I don't need to disconnect it to take the reactor away.
  • The clear top allow you to see inside the reactor when it's running. It's nice to see what exactly is going on. But not a necessity.

OP
OP
C

Coug92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a pax bellum n24. But to be honestly, the primary reason I pick that over reef octopus one is because it looks cooler ... I don't believe they will perform significantly difference. It's more important to run them correctly, like with proper photoperiod, flow, and micro elements (Fe).

Couple thing I can point out for pax
  • The quick connect is really convenient when taking the reactor out to harvest and clean. But you can add one for yourself to other reactor as well.
  • The heat sink of the light goes quite hot to touch when running. Reef octopus one don't have heatsink, instead the light sit in water to cool down. So I assume the heat goes to the water instead. The light is 20w, so it's like less than 10w of heat.
  • The light tube of pax need to be clean every time I harvest. Since the light of reef octopus sit in water, it will need to be cleaned as well.
  • The light of pax just sit loosely on top. So I don't need to disconnect it to take the reactor away.
  • The clear top allow you to see inside the reactor when it's running. It's nice to see what exactly is going on. But not a necessity.
More great advice. Appreciate the thoughtful input. Cheers

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back