Chaeto - Should it tumble?

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! Finally picked up my first Chaeto order today. It is looking great in my sump. Question is should it tumble around or sit still? I put it in a Tupperware bowl and its floating at the top until I hear from the pros.
e942ffbe4925109d8508813c259753ad.jpg
59caa7f4a4de77cfbbb1907838fe2010.jpg

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove the bowl and let it be.
Ok. So tumbling is ok? Just curious because it has a decent tumble. The copeppds are running around it like it's a ferris wheel.

LavaBeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread, I also got my first golf ball size Cheato for my tiny refugium today. I had the same question, I also wonder about the “flow” you guys/girls mention, my refugium is a 3 compartment one and I put it in the first chamber, where the water is pumped in to, that should be fine correct? One last question, its a new tank and right after the cycle I got brown diatom bloom, but only in the refugium, will this macro algea choke/starve out the brown or should I be worried?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread, I also got my first golf ball size Cheato for my tiny refugium today. I had the same question, I also wonder about the “flow” you guys/girls mention, my refugium is a 3 compartment one and I put it in the first chamber, where the water is pumped in to, that should be fine correct? One last question, its a new tank and right after the cycle I got brown diatom bloom, but only in the refugium, will this macro algea choke/starve out the brown or should I be worried?
It’s fine. It may also be detritus build up. Stuff settles in the chambers and can’t get out.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Chaeto by no means is required to tumble. Tumbling tends to help with ensuring that the ultra thin layer of water on the macroalgae surface is swept away to allow for nutrient uptake and CO2 exchange. Strong flow will also do this.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto by no means is required to tumble. Tumbling tends to help with ensuring that the ultra thin layer of water on the macroalgae surface is swept away to allow for nutrient uptake and CO2 exchange. Strong flow will also do this.

Tumbling is not required, but tubling is a good thing. I use air tumble culture in all production tanks. In addition to self cleaning process, photosynthesis is enhanced because tumbling allows all macro surfaces to see photosynthesis.

If I was from Alabama, I would say “Roll Tide”. Or maybe just sing

“Roll On Tumbleweed”.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, my self always messing with things did not like it tumbling. I did this to keep it from tumbling. What do you think. Will this restrict growth? I will remove it once it is big enough to not tumble.
f5c33480a7741cfd9da7c5de77266066.jpg

leroy_jenkinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, my self always messing with things did not like it tumbling. I did this to keep it from tumbling. What do you think. Will this restrict growth? I will remove it once it is big enough to not tumble.
f5c33480a7741cfd9da7c5de77266066.jpg
You’re putting way too much thought into your macro algae my man. It’s just chaeto and eventually is going to outgrow your little contraption. Just let it float/tumble/roll etc as long as your numbers are in check no need to do all that

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re putting way too much thought into your macro algae my man. It’s just chaeto and eventually is going to outgrow your little contraption. Just let it float/tumble/roll etc as long as your numbers are in check no need to do all that
Yep that's me..lol. Tumbling busted a bunch of it off and I have read so many things about the Chaeto dying. Overthinking it I guess. I will let it tumble when I get home.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, you dont like my little contraption? Lol

leroy_jenkinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep that's me..lol. Tumbling busted a bunch of it off and I have read so many things about the Chaeto dying. Overthinking it I guess. I will let it tumble when I get home.

New chaeto will “bust” apart. When it starts exporting nutrients your chaeto will grow into a bigger more compressed like ball/square and won’t break apart as much. Your flow might be a bit much and thus making little pieces scatter but unless you have a WAV or MP40WQD power head in there blasting it I promise your chaeto won’t fall apart and disappear.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back