Chaeto slowdown with normal water parameters

RajV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past 10 days my Chaeto is shrinking in volume . I had a nice growth that was fluffy light and distributed by volume in my entire sump area it belonged , its now shrinking and heavy and is almost 25 % of the space it occupied. It is not dying.

What could be the reason ?

My Ph is stable 8.2 to 8.1 swing
My Ammonia is constant .007
Nitates 0
Alk 8
Calcium 413
Mag 1299
Phosphate .2

Lighting MaxGrow adjustable Led

Any pointers to reviving its growth is greatly appreciated

Kayvon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the same issue. Got a Triton test, and it said I had low Potassium.

teller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you want to get your nitrates detectable, more like 1-4 ppm. Chaeto needs that and phosphate to thrive.
Unfortunately things with macro algae are not so nitrate/phosphate only.
If you see a site like :
https://www.marineplantbook.com/marinebookpage10.htm
There are more macro and trace elements involved.
For some reason Triton has a line specific with additional traces dosing.
Pax bellum Arid also has additional bottles of traces to add like iron and manganese.
Etc... That is the reason some people eventually fail in macro algae.
I do not say everyone has to supplement. As I said before, I belive that if you consistently add nori for your fish probably you do not have to dose iron.
In my case I have a nano and so I don't add nori, so I dose iron.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd raise the potassium regardless of any other issues. It may or may not slow the growth of macroalgae.

It may "need" more nitrate to grow more, but whether you dose it to drive that growth is up to you.

I do think that iron and some other trace elements (e.g., manganese) are needed, rapidly depleted, and easy to dose.

OP
OP
RajV

RajV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd raise the potassium regardless of any other issues. It may or may not slow the growth of macroalgae.

It may "need" more nitrate to grow more, but whether you dose it to drive that growth is up to you.

I do think that iron and some other trace elements (e.g., manganese) are needed, rapidly depleted, and easy to dose.
I must confess , i had this hope of getting a response from you .. thank you , love reading your chemistry articles that demystify and makes this hobby easier . What would be the best supplement to increase pottasium ? @Randy Holmes-Farley

tigé21v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the difference between potassium chloride and potassium sulfate? Would there be any benefit from mixing the two (like Brightwell Aquatics does)?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the difference between potassium chloride and potassium sulfate? Would there be any benefit from mixing the two (like Brightwell Aquatics does)?

IMO, there's no real benefit since the amounts are too low to matter to the chloride/sulfate balance. Either just KCl, or KCl plus a little K2SO4 (maybe 10:1) would be my pick.

OP
OP
RajV

RajV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update
SO from some of the replies here and from what I have understood and this statement from @Randy Holmes-Farley from a different thread "All this really says is that given too little light, the algae will slowly shrink and disappear (and die)", I decided to test the refugium light under a par meter from @AQD-Seneye . So the light was putting out approx 3K (kelvin) - no big issue on the spectrum that was a surprise . I pushed that back to 6K . Im not sure if i inadvertently hit the knob or has the led lost power - or the driver has gone weak - or may be the controler's resistance has gone goofy . Its now 4 days since i made the change and I find it growing back . There something I missed - There was a clear indication from May 2nd , my Seneye was clearly showing that the pH was not increasing at night when the refugium goes on and it also points back to the 3 weeks of me seeing the slow degrowth . I can now see the pH raise every night as well after the change to the lighting . Thanks all for pitching in here

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 180 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back