Chaeto Turning White

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess it would depend on how often and how much water percentage you change coupled with the mount of corals and fish in the tank. Obviously nano tanks much easier to replenish with water changes.
Unless you’re doing 100% water changes, you will always have diminishing returns. Let’s say you do a 100% water change or are starting with a new tank, if your tank uses even 1% of the trace elements in your salt mix, if you do a 25% water change, your trace elements are only going to be replenished to 99.25% of their original level, and each water change that isn’t 100% will further diminish those levels. Water changes just aren’t really a good way to maintain/manage trace elements (or alk, or nutrients, lol).

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you’re doing 100% water changes, you will always have diminishing returns. Let’s say you do a 100% water change or are starting with a new tank, if your tank uses even 1% of the trace elements in your salt mix, if you do a 25% water change, your trace elements are only going to be replenished to 99.25% of their original level, and each water change that isn’t 100% will further diminish those levels. Water changes just aren’t really a good way to maintain/manage trace elements (or alk, or nutrients, lol).
There are other variables here which are not accounted for. In large heavily stocked tanks you are correct. In lightly stocked nano tanks the consumption just isn't there to need supplemental dosing and weekly water changes suffice. My tank is only 80 gallons total. It wasn't until the 10 month mark that I required trace dosing because I went from weekly water changes to every other week and I now had a tank full of growing corals. My previous ICP were fine for trace with weekly water changes and coral pro salt but as things matured and I elected to cut back water changes then I needed to dose alk, cal daily and trace only once per week to maintain good number as my ICP showed 2 weeks ago. I am sure there are a lot of reefers who don't dose trace at all and are successful too.

Last edited:

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People marketing products doesn’t make the information incorrect. Good day
No it doesn't and every tank is unique too. What works for some may not be ideal for others. You have to determine what works best for your particular set up.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back