OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I moved a severly bleached out Miami hurricane a no name with color and a stick over to the tank....
Shots will be taken weekly I guess and see where this goes... I haven't figured out a lighting schedule yet either since it is power compact bulbs a single 10k and 460 actinic... I'm gonna run them for 6hrs to start...oh yeah it's extremely easy to photograph under these bulbs haha... Once again trusty iPhone shots..
72328c5b.jpg

7595c89d.jpg

678a3fbc.jpg

d2fa232b.jpg

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WAIT pc lighting can grow acroporas? I always thought they don't put off NEARLY enough light for them.

Neat experiment idea!

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pshhhh I kept acros for a long time including a bta under power compacts on my first 150gal inwall display.... There more than enough just not efficient that's all... Lots of waisted light since the reflectors suck and the bulb wraps it's self and waist energy on heat..:tongue:

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O,you learn something every day! My LFS always STRESSED sps cant live under pc's.

Reef keeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following im gonna put sumtin together in a lil with 4, 5 gallon tanks one with leds, halide, t-5, pc lighting and their all gonna be plummed together and then tjeirs gonna be sps amd zoas from the same colony posioned tje same and same everything and see which ligjt grows them quicker

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol,Im pretty sure back n like the 90's ppl used normal indeciant(spell check)bulbs to keep sps IIRC,haha...

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true Austin... I remember my mom usin regular t12 bulbs "shop lights" they could sustain life all day... Yeah the colors sucked but they grew haha.... You would be surprised how many people still use vho's as there only lighting source... They actually rock IMHO!!!!

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah,didnt matter back then if the colors sucked!The corals still grew and still looked nice as they developed into colonies!They actully might have been faster growing aswell,haha,wonder why people stopped using them!lol...

Maybe I shoudl go all VHO!haha!

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well be following along on both to see how it goes love the ideas be interwoven how they go. Gl

Big Steve

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

xxbrianxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool experiment, but shouldn't you at least put the acro a little higher up with more flow as well? Otherwise I'm not sure if you'd get accurate results.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool experiment, but shouldn't you at least put the acro a little higher up with more flow as well? Otherwise I'm not sure if you'd get accurate results.
i will if it shows signs of deterioration....for now i wanna see if i can have a nice acro in the sand under pc bulbs haha.... i think today we blast our corals way to much i think i can get the same results if not better with the old technology....

bige

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its funny how more light is drilled into us. Then you see a tank with 2 54w t-5 housing everything and you think its a miracle. I could grow anything under my stock biocube 29 lights. Just have to move around. Higher lower. And I use to use t-12 and never thought anything about it.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
please do haha.... 2 months down the road i might have all your stuff in there if these testers do really well.... i truly feel there gonna exceed all of my displays ever...

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a short article a few months ago by an LFS that grew all their chalices in a simple system like that (though they also had some fish in there). All they did was feed their tank heavily and the chalices grew like weeds.

CJ

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back