Chalice experiment 101... Ole'skool...

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a led bleached out miami hurricane chalice... Taking it back to old school... Simple tank no Rock just live sand and water from my display... Tank will have a small bag of carbon and pc lighting... Let the games begin...:) full pictures and documentary here if all goes well I will move all my chalices over...1smile1
7c34b26e.jpg

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a gamble with a rising sun.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol... This is gonna be the most simple and dirtiest tank ever... Plan is to grow algae and chalices haha.... Very heavy feedings... If something don't look right I will adjust accordingly but for now I wanna see the minimum I or anyone can get away with.... Is all that exspensive stuff really necessary???? 1smile1

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goodluck Lee will like to see how you make out with this idea

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want a simple system that grows corals as simple as possible... I'm tired of keeping up with the joneses.... Cheap and effective??? Will find out....;)

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I had to make sure and open all drawers and see if it collapsed haha.... I gotta pull my 220 display out so this tank will also be my quarantine for any new arrivals for now until the beast is gone... I have the stock biocube skimmer and uv light I can throw on there if need be.... For now I wanna see what happens... I loved my pc lighting back in the day and so did most of my softies and Lps... Time will tell... It has a 10k and 420mm right now in the hood and moon lights.. Complete stock 14gal biocube... Plan is to use my old tank water from my cube for a wc if I ever decide to do one haha...

Reef UP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm completely down with this idea love love love it, I'll bet they all pull mad colors just keep up on the normal params and you'll be just fine for sure

PR_Reefers

Reefer 4 Life!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL... cool I was thinking of doing something like this for zoas to see if they grew at a faster pace... can't wait to see the results hehe

reefkoi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be interesting to see what happens might be a couple months before you really know but it just might work :)

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoos for sure do... The only time I had great luck with polyps was when I really neglected my tank I mean algae every where it was bad news but between all that green was polyps spreading like wild fire... That was under metal halides thou... Don't think lighting really played a roll in that tank it was all the excess nutrients that made the corals take off IMHO...

Lateral72

Chaetodontidae
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing I can see, is a high PO4, which may hinder growth..

Otherwise cool idea...

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about that I mean I want it elevated but not sky high.... Any algae should consume it theoretically.... I'm not gonna let it get out of control but I do want algae in there... From my years of keeping a reef algae is a sign of a healthy tank..1smile1 maybe I'm crazy but I think keeping sps and spotless tanks has driven me to this... I think it's gonna work extremely well...

Bugg_zy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think folks are going to flip when they see your success. I have 2 tanks at my house, a 75 with ati fixture, swc skimmer etc etc.. My chalice’s lived in this tank, but did not thrive. The tank that made my chalice's noticeably happier was my old school tank!! Sumpless 40b, one k#3 power head, heater, and an aquaclear HoB(for phos remover and carbon), and some LR. Every chalice I have moved to this setup has exhibited greater flesh extension and started popping out new eyes. My bazooka joe went from 2 eyes to 12 since putting it in a basic system, and that is with 0 feeding, just light and fish poop.
I will be following this one with a smile on my face. :xd:

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure I'm gonna move the pieces in there today and take some good pictures with full documentation of the growth and tank.... I really set this up to show and encourage new members to the hobby that a simple tank with less than $20 in sand and water can and will grow corals... Simplicity is key here and cheapness.... Should be fun I'm gonna throw a couple stubborn polyps in there also to track it.... Ya know I have so many sticks I might even drop one in there.... I dont think the stick will do well just because of the elevated po4 level but who knows maybe the algae will keep up with it...1smile1

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back