chalice not doing good, orange veins on base?

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was doing great one week ago but it's starting to go down hill. All my parameters are good, but PO4 reads 0.01-0.02 on the Hanna ULR despite dosing. Had stopped dosing NeoPhos and restarted. Noticed this, what is it? Is it a pest? Can I glue over it? Thank you

Screenshot 2024-05-19 at 7.35.51 AM.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Was doing great one week ago but it's starting to go down hill. All my parameters are good, but PO4 reads 0.01-0.02 on the Hanna ULR despite dosing. Had stopped dosing NeoPhos and restarted. Noticed this, what is it? Is it a pest? Can I glue over it? Thank you

Screenshot 2024-05-19 at 7.35.51 AM.png
Orange stuff looks like sponge and the white patches may be due to:
Low calcium and/or alk
Insufficient water flow
Low PH
Low salinity
Lack of light

OP
OP
dr_vinnie_boombatz

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orange stuff looks like sponge and the white patches may be due to:
Low calcium and/or alk
Insufficient water flow
Low PH
Low salinity
Lack of light
How do I get rid of the sponge?

I don't see any tube ending or anything ever coming out of it...

This was under no light only using a flashlight. The white patches are baby blue under light. It is losing tissue slowly. I've concluded it was due to too strong flow as several acans near by are not happy as well. Hopefully the flow adjustment fixes it.

I dose AFR, so steady ALK at 8.5 and Ca 418. Par 110, salinity 1.026, PH around 8.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
How do I get rid of the sponge?

I don't see any tube ending or anything ever coming out of it...

This was under no light only using a flashlight. The white patches are baby blue under light. It is losing tissue slowly. I've concluded it was due to too strong flow as several acans near by are not happy as well. Hopefully the flow adjustment fixes it.

I dose AFR, so steady ALK at 8.5 and Ca 418. Par 110, salinity 1.026, PH around 8.
Flow will help and using AFR - Be sure to test mainly alk and CA regularly
For sponge, Inject with air or vinegar or remove rock and pull off with a dental pick or similar tool

OP
OP
dr_vinnie_boombatz

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow will help and using AFR - Be sure to test mainly alk and CA regularly
For sponge, Inject with air or vinegar or remove rock and pull off with a dental pick or similar tool
The problem I'm running into its all around the base of the chalice. Chalice sits on a 3" disk which doesn't have it. The "platform" it sits on which had that "thing" came from the coral vendor. I tried scraping some off and covering with glue, but saw some under spots where I could not reach. It's hard to scrap off too since the base has grooves. Should I glue over those remaining spots, even though it may cover some of the edge/base of the chalice? Thank you

Edit: I suppose the chalice will eventually overgrow those spots I cannot reach and they're almost underneath it. My concern is I don't want it to spread throughout the tank...

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The problem I'm running into its all around the base of the chalice. Chalice sits on a 3" disk which doesn't have it. The "platform" it sits on which had that "thing" came from the coral vendor. I tried scraping some off and covering with glue, but saw some under spots where I could not reach. It's hard to scrap off too since the base has grooves. Should I glue over those remaining spots, even though it may cover some of the edge/base of the chalice? Thank you

Edit: I suppose the chalice will eventually overgrow those spots I cannot reach and they're almost underneath it. My concern is I don't want it to spread throughout the tank...
Thats a maybe but you can wait and see

Back