Challenges of a mixed reef

Dlealrious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.
I would love to hear from reefers out there that are keeping mixed reefs of SPS and LPS, Zoas in the same tank.
What are the challenges : ie flow,lighting,nutrients
or does it all come down to acclimation of corals and placement.
I am about the start my own mixed reef which i was hope will be 40% SPS(acro,scrolling monti) 30% LPS(acan,brain,scolly) 30% Zoe

Cheers guys

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a delicate balance to say the least, but like anything else... stability is king. The main issue I had was acclimating soft corals. Some will tolerate a wide array of conditions, others will not. I also have a lagoon, frag, style tank which makes it even harder when considering lighting challenges. From my experience 0-5 ppm nitrates and 0-.4 ppm P04 is the sweet spot. Everything flourishes and does great, even my shrooms are massive, acros only 8 inches above them growing like weeds, again... you can chase numbers all day, but I always preach consistency and stability. The only issues I ever have with flow all depended on my aquascape; if you can arrange things to accommodate the coral then do so, otherwise reconsider getting that specific coral.

OP
OP
Dlealrious

Dlealrious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup forgot to add stability in my post
My set up will be 40x36x18. Flat rock scape across the top with rocks on the side for coral. Sps on top lps zoas on lower rocks and base

GOPR1658-2.JPG

GOPR1656.JPG

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not add that dog to the tank unless I quarantined it first.
I have a mixed reef and I have no idea why it thrives. My nitrates are 160 and PO4 is 2.0. It has been running for many years and is very healthy. I am sure I can't keep the more delicate SPS with that nitrate but most of them live and grow fine. If you kep a tank enough years you will see things take over, die back and other things will take over. Sometimes mushrooms and leathers grow up the walls then for no known reason they shrink and SPS will grow like crazy. Then algae will grow and back to LPS. These cycles can last a few months or 4 years but they do happen all the time. I find it interesting. :cool:

needbiggertanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be really cool to see in like a flip book or time lapse. Its a cool experience to hear about. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
Dlealrious

Dlealrious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone else have some experience with this?

zchauvin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your tank size should be fine, I have always had nano tanks and it's a PITA to have lps and sps. Anytime I can add enough flow for sps the lps suffer and vise versa.

1stNoel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mixed reef that's more catered to SPS.

I have 2 Gyres in a 300 gallon tank at full blast. Zoas don't care, they blossom anywhere. Euphyllias need to be placed carefully so they're not getting blasted, but they do fine once they've had a chance to bulk up/grow. Goniopora and clove polyps couldn't handle the flow.

I have Kessils, and the lights are too strong for some corals. Meteor Shower got nuked, but Mystic Sunset grows like a weed. Coral placement is key.

My biggest issue with a mixed reef is fish selection. I like my angels, but my SPS don't like them. I have a juvenile Queen that may need to be pulled out of the tank soon. :(

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Uhmm. Challenges.. balancing lighting to not bleach lps but also provide enuff light for acropora, also consider/hand a coral placement. Flow, balancing flow so your not melting your lps skin off their bones lol but to provide for sps. You can achieve laminar flow now adays with all the powerheads. Possible toxins, again not something you can see, so it would be wise to run some type of carbon, witch is mostly affiliated with mixed reefs. Nutrients, maybe a little higher then the lower levels people strive to be around. Zoas-no worrys, except wearing gloves =)

Neil Fox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The LPS that I keep in my SPS tank always look like crap. I think you might find target feeding them to be helpful. The only exception seems to be Duncans, softies and Zoas no problem like Sabellafella says. I moved most of them, I did have a Fungia that was doing well but it moved around a lot and became a nuisance.

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not add that dog to the tank unless I quarantined it first.
I have a mixed reef and I have no idea why it thrives. My nitrates are 160 and PO4 is 2.0. It has been running for many years and is very healthy. I am sure I can't keep the more delicate SPS with that nitrate but most of them live and grow fine. If you kep a tank enough years you will see things take over, die back and other things will take over. Sometimes mushrooms and leathers grow up the walls then for no known reason they shrink and SPS will grow like crazy. Then algae will grow and back to LPS. These cycles can last a few months or 4 years but they do happen all the time. I find it interesting. :cool:
This is my experience with my tank as well. It's also my favourite part of keeping my reef I think. I don't like to lose corals but I let everything play out and do their own thing.
For what it's worth I always found it easier keeping everything (SPS and LPS) happy with a little higher nutrients, strong lighting (I've used LED) and decent flow.
Like others have said scape can help a lot with high and low light/flow available in certain spots in the tank.

OP
OP
Dlealrious

Dlealrious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome info thanks guys this really helps.
Big concern was lighting with sps needing more than say acans. I have a few rainbow acans frags that lost colour in my frag tank under cheap led. Im gettimg sb reef lights for my build so will re think poisoning of these. So far zoa frags i have seem to do well and even the sps frags are holding colour ok.

roostertech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting is not that big of an issue for me, lower light stuff can be placed toward the bottom or acclimated to higher light.
Nutrient level seems to be harder to maintain. If I push hard on nutrient export, my LPS and softies looks worse but SPS blossom, and vice versa. There is a fine sweet spot somewhere.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back