Changing boxed water brand

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I’ve been using the petco boxed water since I started saltwater tanks and now I’m planning to change to nutri-seawater because it has a lower Alk which is the reason why I’m switching.

I’ll be doing a water change tomorrow and was wondering if the change of saltwater will have an effect on my corals. I currently have lots of euphyllia some RBTA’s and acros.
Not sure if anyone uses nutri-seawater and if it’s changed the chemistry in your reef?
Any input greatly appreciated!

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only feedback I have to offer is "WHY" Arent those like $2 a gallon? You have a lot more control over water quality and consistency with your own system..not to mention the cost savings.

Outside of that...nope. Sorry..once I saw how much those were..i stayed away.

Upvote 0

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I has no idea petco sold boxed saltwater but it sounds terrifying.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only feedback I have to offer is "WHY" Arent those like $2 a gallon? You have a lot more control over water quality and consistency with your own system..not to mention the cost savings.

Outside of that...nope. Sorry..once I saw how much those were..i stayed away.
I live in New York City and don’t have space and also my water pressure is ridiculously low. I bought a 5 stage RODI and the first time I made my own water it took me over 6 hours to make 15 gallons of water.
Poor plumbing system in the apartment I live on so I’m stuck with buying made water

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I has no idea petco sold boxed saltwater but it sounds terrifying.
Yeah it’s not bad I haven’t had any spikes of any sort but for some reason that water is very high on Alk which wasn’t keeping my corals happy when it got too high so that’s why I was planning to switch over to the other nutri-seawater brand that my LFS has in stock

Upvote 0

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in New York City and don’t have space and also my water pressure is ridiculously low. I bought a 5 stage RODI and the first time I made my own water it took me over 6 hours to make 15 gallons of water.
Poor plumbing system in the apartment I live on so I’m stuck with buying made water
Buy a RODI booster pump.

Upvote 0

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your LFS stocks boxed saltwater instead of making its own? Is it just a FW fish store?

Upvote 0

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
REturned from saltwateraquarium
Didn’t even know they sold these at BRS but I’m moving in a couple of weeks so Ill keep it in mind if the water pressure is low there as well.
I would love to make my own water trust me, moving to a house with better plumbing system and also cleaner tap water

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your LFS stocks boxed saltwater instead of making its own? Is it just a FW fish store?
Yeah I’m New York City all saltwater fish stores sell boxed water because of the space factor and water pressure problems on most apartments.
I guess they see it as a convenience more than anything

Upvote 0

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’m New York City all saltwater fish stores sell boxed water because of the space factor and water pressure problems on most apartments.
I guess they see it as a convenience more than anything
Out of pure morbid curiosity...what is the price per gallon for pre made saltwater in NYC?

Upvote 0

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cheaper on amazon than BRS....i dont recall the specifics but randy holmes farley had nothing good to say about nutri sea in one of his articles...perhaps parameters that didn't match what was advertised?...

Upvote 0

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting right now about $3 per gallon. Buying about 20 gallons weekly
OUCH!!! but honestly, i was expecting more for some reason. I dont spend in water and salt annually what you spend monthly.

But this definitely makes the RODI pump booster an economical choice!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OUCH!!! but honestly, i was expecting more for some reason. I dont spend in water and salt annually what you spend monthly.

But this definitely makes the RODI pump booster an economical choice!!
It does get pricey but for now it’ll have to do until I move
Definitely making my own water in the future

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cheaper on amazon than BRS....i dont recall the specifics but randy holmes farley had nothing good to say about nutri sea in one of his articles...perhaps parameters that didn't match what was advertised?...
Yeah I’m gonna just use the boxed water until I move since the water pressure is really a problem. Just worried it’ll cause any harm to the tank until then

Upvote 0

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’m gonna just use the boxed water until I move since the water pressure is really a problem. Just worried it’ll cause any harm to the tank until then
If you are moving in the near future...my unqualified opinion would be stick with the status quo. Don't change brands unless there is a reason to. You are going to put enough stress on your tank during the move..i wouldnt want to change water parameters just prior.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are moving in the near future...my unqualified opinion would be stick with the status quo. Don't change brands unless there is a reason to. You are going to put enough stress on your tank during the move..i wouldnt want to change water parameters just prior.
Yeah I was thinking after the move like slowly start to mix my own water and do small changes after fish are settled and corals are also fully extended.
I guess changing the water from petco is still an upgrade?

Upvote 0

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was thinking after the move like slowly start to mix my own water and do small changes after fish are settled and corals are also fully extended.
I guess there’s changing the water from petco is still an upgrade?
Honestly..it comes down to who's running the show. If it is some teenager working on an hourly salary that has no clue about saltwater fish..maybe. But I have met some pretty great reefer's at petco that know their stuff and are passionate about this. If your system is stable, i honestly wouldnt care about who is making the water and changing for the sake of name brand water.

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back