Changing boxed water brand

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I’ve been using the petco boxed water since I started saltwater tanks and now I’m planning to change to nutri-seawater because it has a lower Alk which is the reason why I’m switching.

I’ll be doing a water change tomorrow and was wondering if the change of saltwater will have an effect on my corals. I currently have lots of euphyllia some RBTA’s and acros.
Not sure if anyone uses nutri-seawater and if it’s changed the chemistry in your reef?
Any input greatly appreciated!

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly..it comes down to who's running the show. If it is some teenager working on an hourly salary that has no clue about saltwater fish..maybe. But I have met some pretty great reefer's at petco that know their stuff and are passionate about this. If your system is stable, i honestly wouldnt care about who is making the water and changing for the sake of name brand water.
Systems been stable since set up and I also don’t have any bacteria blooms or algae problems. Nems and euphyllia are thriving and also haven’t had anything but a starfish die in the system but that was me being stupid thinking my tank had enough food to sustain a Red Sea star

Upvote 0

Swede Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Aquamaxx branded RODI w/ booster pump a on sale a long time ago. Rated at 100g a day and always provides clean consistent sw with good salt mix. Pick a salt mix that is close to what you desire and save lots of money and have it ready when needed. Fits under bathroom sink and you never know it's there.... my 2 cents. Happy Reefing! :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry you have to go through this. After you move, let us know if you need anything. We'll make sure you never have to buy water again!
You have no idea and also I live in a third floor walk up…. With 20 gallons weekly walking up those stairs is no joke

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Aquamaxx branded RODI w/ booster pump a on sale a long time ago. Rated at 100g a day and always provides clean consistent sw with good salt mix. Pick a salt mix that is close to what you desire and save lots of money and have it ready when needed. Fits under bathroom sink and you never know it's there.... my 2 cents. Happy Reefing! :)
I was thinking on either going with Red Sea salt or the tropic Martin salt. Any preferences?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m surprised no one has offered him a serious solution. When you move, move out of New York.
HAHAHAH. Ok..now that is some funny stuff!! But not sure if you saw...HE IS MOVING!!
And I couldn’t be happier is really holding me back from upgrading to a bigger system too.

Upvote 0

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was thinking after the move like slowly start to mix my own water and do small changes after fish are settled and corals are also fully extended.
I guess changing the water from petco is still an upgrade?
Given your situation, I think it would be significantly cheaper and a whole lot less hassle to switch over to a Triton style tank. I’ve never changed water a single time in my tank.

Upvote 0

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did he mention how much evaporation he has? I dont recall seeing it. I evaporate about 30 gallons a week…..

corey

Upvote 0

Swede Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking on either going with Red Sea salt or the tropic Martin salt. Any preferences?
I like Tropic Marine Pro Reef for my purpose since the parameters are close to wha I prefer except I need to bump AK a bit. Any good salt works fine. Reef crystals etc... Does not have to be expensive....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Tropic Marine Pro Reef for my purpose since the parameters are close to wha I prefer except I need to bump AK a bit. Any good salt works fine. Reef crystals etc... Does not have to be expensive....
I was looking at that one specifically cause I’m planning to keep SPS and LPS with some nems so the trace elements are a nice add on that I won’t have to dose

Upvote 0

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in New York City and don’t have space and also my water pressure is ridiculously low. I bought a 5 stage RODI and the first time I made my own water it took me over 6 hours to make 15 gallons of water.
Poor plumbing system in the apartment I live on so I’m stuck with buying made water

You can buy jugs of distilled water and just mix your own salt. I did this for my nano for years.

Upvote 0

BrianAnthony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have no idea and also I live in a third floor walk up…. With 20 gallons weekly walking up those stairs is no joke
Omg.. I was thinking about that in the shower... Lol. I don't have a car and I won't even buy a 2 liter of soda to carry back. You are a dedicated reefer.

Upvote 0

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I only evaporated a gallon a week. I promise something is up with my tank and it’s evaporation. Lol

Corey

Upvote 0
Back