Changing from 4ft to 6ft tank…what to do with lights?

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi y’all. I got a 4ft 120 now with 48” dx18 T5 and 2 a360 hybrid set up. I won a xxl 750 and getting ready to set it up soon.
Question: how should I light up the 750 but still use my kessils?
I noticed @AquaticLifeProducts doesnt make a 72” dx18 and I was wondering what’s the best way to set this t5/a360 hybrid up to house a mixed tank with a little more sps.
I also am considering adding reefbrite xho along with the a360. But I’m having the same issue with this. How would I set this up? Should I just buy a few chi add on kits and maybe 2 more kessils?

what do I do?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the reply but I don’t like the idea of two hanging fixture side by side. I have a little ocd and if they don’t align perfectly that’s going to really really bug me. But I was thinking maybe a canopy (which I would hate to do and cover the top with a cabinet) or what if I just use the the 5ft dx18 with 4 kessils would that create too much dark spots on the edges of the tank?

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One of the few 6 foot bars out there.

You could get 2 of these bars and keep the kessil you have, and add in some more kessil down the road.

If you go with the 60" dx18, it would probably be enough. Par will be lower on the very edges of the tank, but you're not putting coral up against the glass on the edge so it probably wont matter.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi y’all. I got a 4ft 120 now with 48” dx18 T5 and 2 a360 hybrid set up. I won a xxl 750 and getting ready to set it up soon.
Question: how should I light up the 750 but still use my kessils?
I noticed @AquaticLifeProducts doesnt make a 72” dx18 and I was wondering what’s the best way to set this t5/a360 hybrid up to house a mixed tank with a little more sps.
I also am considering adding reefbrite xho along with the a360. But I’m having the same issue with this. How would I set this up? Should I just buy a few chi add on kits and maybe 2 more kessils?

what do I do?
If the finances allow and you want to do sps, I would get 2 radions and put them all the way on the sides of the fixture you currently have, you’ll have just 1 foot on each side and radions can easily cover that. Even Gen 4s would be good. You can keep your kessils in the middle. Sides could be slightly lower light for corals that need it. If you want to stick with Kessils I would just add two more on the sides, not sure if the coverage is as good as radions though.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply but I don’t like the idea of two hanging fixture side by side. I have a little ocd and if they don’t align perfectly that’s going to really really bug me. But I was thinking maybe a canopy (which I would hate to do and cover the top with a cabinet) or what if I just use the the 5ft dx18 with 4 kessils would that create too much dark spots on the edges of the tank?
It looks to me like you can bolt them together using the channels on the sides, that way they will always align and look like one fixture.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.3%
Back