72" long tank, 2 x 36" T5 Hybrid or one 59" T5 hybrid

Kaiser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm currently building my Red Sea 750xxl and I'm pretty committed to running a Giesemann stellar plug in hybrid, however I'm not sure on how to size the fixture in relation to my tank since my tank is 72" long. I plan on using 4 Radion XR30 G4 Pros, but should I buy two 36" fixtures and put 2 radions in each of them, or just buy one 59" fixture and place all 4 of the Radions in it? Which is a better choice?

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm currently building my Red Sea 750xxl and I'm pretty committed to running a Giesemann stellar plug in hybrid, however I'm not sure on how to size the fixture in relation to my tank since my tank is 72" long. I plan on using 4 Radion XR30 G4 Pros, but should I buy two 36" fixtures and put 2 radions in each of them, or just buy one 59" fixture and place all 4 of the Radions in it? Which is a better choice?
Get the 59" fixture. It will provide you diffuse light for the full 72" length just fine. You should have no issues with needing more par with 4 radion xr30 pros and the t5s, even on the edges. One 59" fixture = 4 bulbs to change versus 8 bulbs with two fixtures.

OP
OP
Kaiser

Kaiser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the 59" fixture. It will provide you diffuse light for the full 72" length just fine. You should have no issues with needing more par with 4 radion xr30 pros and the t5s, even on the edges. One 59" fixture = 4 bulbs to change versus 8 bulbs with two fixtures.
Enough par for even an sps tank?

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enough par for even an sps tank?
Yes. Absolutely. In fact, I think diffusers are also a good idea with the XR30 pros even with the T5s (if you don't mind paying the extra cost of the diffusers). The XR30s are a little more prone to hot spots versus using multiple xr15s where you can spread the pucks out a bit more, so I think the diffusers help. Mounting the fixtures a bit higher can help with spread also if that is an option.

OP
OP
Kaiser

Kaiser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Absolutely. In fact, I think diffusers are also a good idea with the XR30 pros even with the T5s (if you don't mind paying the extra cost of the diffusers). The XR30s are a little more prone to hot spots versus using multiple xr15s where you can spread the pucks out a bit more, so I think the diffusers help. Mounting the fixtures a bit higher can help with spread also if that is an option.
Funny enough, I was planning on doing those on the original planning of the tank, I've already got one with a diffuser over my current tank

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run 2x 36". I have a 7 foot tank and only having a 6 foot light drove me crazy and I ended up buying more light for the ends. I wanted wall-to-wall high light acropora and the ends were just too dull. Some people like the duller ends, but just know that the last 6", or so, are duller to being with since you have light only from above and one side (instead of two sides) and now you are having no light over some of it in addition to the last 6 inch dullness... this is like a foot or more of less light area.

OP
OP
Kaiser

Kaiser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run 2x 36". I have a 7 foot tank and only having a 6 foot light drove me crazy and I ended up buying more light for the ends. I wanted wall-to-wall high light acropora and the ends were just too dull. Some people like the duller ends, but just know that the last 6", or so, are duller to being with since you have light only from above and one side (instead of two sides) and now you are having no light over some of it in addition to the last 6 inch dullness... this is like a foot or more of less light area.
I mean i could always buy another radion to put at the ends to light it up later on, is it that much of an issue?

gtdjsuresh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning on running the same setup for my 125 gallon the only problem I can see is the 60” light i can’t find a dimmable ballast for it all that I found was for the 25watt and 39watt ballast

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back