Changing lead from USA plug to Australian plug.

Duzzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

the algae/turf scrubber I love I can’t find in Australia , I’m after the

APIS-300 Algae Turf Scrubber however the plug is not Australia available as far as I know. I have a letter in to Hmahli sumps to see if he can modify his to a bottom drain if so problem solved if not can I just open the lights and change the leads? Cut the plug of and replace with an Aussie plug or get an adapter. I’m really unsure what to do. I’ve searched here but can’t find many scrubbers here, there’s a few reactors but not really what I want.​

Regards Duzzy

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could change the led drivers in it though to accommodate your line voltage, if that is something you feel comfortable doing. Worst case maybe find a suitable light replacement and use their chassis.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

APIS-300 Algae Turf Scrubber however the plug is not Australia available as far as I know. I have a letter in to Hmahli sumps to see if he can modify his to a bottom drain if so problem solved if not can I just open the lights and change the leads? Cut the plug of and replace with an Aussie plug or get an adapter. I’m really unsure what to do. I’ve searched here but can’t find many scrubbers here, there’s a few reactors but not really what I want.​

Regards Duzzy
You can buy adaptors.

OP
OP
Duzzy

Duzzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the adaptor. Aussies run 220v 50hz. You just swap the plug you will likely let all the magic smoke out and it won't work anymore.
We call the the sproing smoke or fubar smoke! Thankyou it’s why I asked I wasn’t sure though leaning adapter just wasn’t sure if it’s dangerous.

OP
OP
Duzzy

Duzzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could change the led drivers in it though to accommodate your line voltage, if that is something you feel comfortable doing. Worst case maybe find a suitable light replacement and use their chassis.
Considered that then sell on the lights a refugium lights.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many electrical items have a 120/220 operating range or switch. Check first
This

I purchase a number of LED lights for work and they are 120-277 volts.

You could contact Four Square and ask them what the specs are on the light.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also of note, if it does have a 220 switch make sure 50 hz wont fry it. Stuff in the states is all based on 60 hz and that difference is hard on some electronic components.

OP
OP
Duzzy

Duzzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This

I purchase a number of LED lights for work and they are 120-277 volts.

You could contact Four Square and ask them what the specs are on the light.
Thanks I’m actually writing to them now but thought I’d check forums before I did.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

Regards Duzzy
Here you can buy a very cheap plug in adapter that simply kills one side of the circuit. I don't know what your receptacles look like though. Our use is to use it when you want to use a 120V gas stove as opposed to electric. That said id you are 50Hz I don't know what effect that would have

OP
OP
Duzzy

Duzzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you can buy a very cheap plug in adapter that simply kills one side of the circuit. I don't know what your receptacles look like though. Our use is to use it when you want to use a 120V gas stove as opposed to electric. That said id you are 50Hz I don't know what effect that would have

I’ve messaged the manufacturer however in another forum they tell me I can swap the leads it’s a standard pc monitor cable

OP
OP
Duzzy

Duzzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just updating everyone here’s the letter from the manufacturer

"Hey Darren.

According to the lighting manufacturer, the fixtures can be used in Australia with the AU plug. The power cords for the fixtures are separate from the fixture itself so you would need to replace the supplied power cords with the AU equivalent.
The fixtures are voltage rated at 100~240vAC.
I hope that helps.

Thanks for reaching out!"

Back